Home

CHAPTER 55 - HOME

AL'S POV

"I, William ... take thee, Rebecca-"

"Yes!" I cheered, leaping to my feet, unable to retain myself. Cue the glares from Katie and her guests. "I mean, uh ... yay, congrats to the spouses!" I clapped, exploiting my best grin. Good thing people were too focused on the worst spelling mistake a man could ever make.

"Sit down, Alan." Gabrielle whisper-yelled, pulling me down. Cue the dirty look from my wifey. She looks so cute when cross. Well, until she switches to glare. Then she becomes pretty scary, like ... she looks like her mother kind of scary. Oh, God, I married Young Patricia.

I cleared my throat, focusing on the matters at hand. Like ... the fact that Will just screwed up way bigger time than even I could have. I leaned to my side, whispering in my wife's ear: "He ... said it, right? He did say that name. I'm not hallucinating, am I?"

She sighed, eyes shifting from the two spouses at the altar to me. "No ... he did say Rebecca."

"Oh, fuck." I let slip, gaining another dirty look from Gabrielle. "I mean, uh ... it's-"

"Shall I continue?" I cut myself off when I heard the priest's voice, who wasn't even that discreet, the whole church heard him. I shifted my gaze back to the altar, and sure as hell still there they were. Will looked pale. As pure white as his bride's veil kind of pale. Katie was ... petrified. I could see the tears menacing to fall.

Yet, at the priest's question she stuttered: "G-Go on."

"Katie ..." Will sighed, for once unsure of himself.

Man, the photographer must be recording all this. Ten years from now it'll be the fattest laugh ever, but right now it was terribly awkward. Gabrielle beside me was shifting uncomfortably, trying to avert her attention. She suffers from heavy second-embarrassment issues. She's more embarrassed when people around her make fools of themselves than when it's her to be the fool.

People were already murmuring, most asked their neighbors who is Rebecca, some agreeing the wedding wasn't supposed to happen at all, some others saying screw it, he's awfully rich, she may as well change her name to Rebecca if that's what he wants.

When he turned to look at me from the altar, I caught Byron's gaze. He's the best man, by the way. I was quite bummed when Will pompously announced it, but I suppose it's fair, I've still got a long, long road to travel before getting totally back to our old friendship.

Byron didn't seem surprised. To be honest, I wasn't much surprised either. I mean, come on, we both knew, Maya knew, even Gabrielle sensed it, that it would end like this. When Will told us he'd go through with the wedding anyways, despite what happened with Becks, I couldn't believe my ears. I think that might have also helped him make the decision about the best man.

I mean, Byron was more cautious as he expressed his doubts, merely wondered whether he was sure or not. I ... well, I wasn't as much discreet. I might have um ... snapped at Will just a little bit. I might have called him names I couldn't repeat here without perturbing your innocent minds, ladies.

"Um ..." the priest was uncertain.

Katie took a deep breath, her whole body shaky because of the tears she was forcing herself to suppress. "Go on." She repeated.

I wonder why. Why does she still want to marry Will after all this? Not only he cheated repeatedly, but he just humiliated her in front of her whole family and all of her friends. What kind of woman would ever decide to just keep going?