Quaking Hearts

CHAPTER 45 - QUAKING HEARTS

BYRON'S POV

The first time I entered a federal prison was 6 years ago. I was lost, following around my mentor like a puppy as he explained what was going on. Over the years, I've entered more prisons, but on my own. This would be the very first time I see a female federal prison on the inside.

I peacefully complied with every rule and ritual, until, finally, I found myself in the visitors room, waiting. I feel like shit, because I lied to Claire about this without too many troubles. She's convinced I'm spending the weekend with Al, to rekindle our friendship. I couldn't tell her I was coming to visit my ex girlfriend, the inmate at Litchfield federal prison, could I?

She knows everything about Maya and our story, but that doesn't mean I could tell. Not just yet. I think I will soon, especially because I could use her expertise as lawyer and because I fucking hate lying to my fiancée, but ... for now, it's just me and my ex.

Maya didn't want to tell me what's going on, she only insisted I came to visit, so I did. I don't even know what to expect. I mean, if they put her in a minimum security prison, it can't be that bad, can it? Unless they're keeping her here for the trial, then they'll transfer her to max ... if she is guilty, that is. I can hardly believe she would be. Of what? What could she have done?

I know my ex isn't a saint, it's not unbelievable that she would get herself in trouble, with that temper, it was granted it would happen sometime, but ... I just can't figure out what is she accused of. And I wonder why am I here instead of her husband. Josh is a fucking moron, but a fairly good lawyer, so why did his wife call her ex boyfriend instead of him?

As the gates opened, and inmates started filing in, I held my breaths. I scanned the neat line of women in search of my ex, and, finally, once everyone was with their beloved ones, Maya's brown hair appeared in my line of sight. I felt my heart skip a few beats at the sole sight of her.

She looked worn out, and somewhat sick, her hair was disheveled, and her pace was slow enough to tell me she hasn't been sleeping since a while.

"Hey, Byron." Were the first worst she uttered, attempting a small smile, once in front of me. "Long time no see, huh?"

"What ..."

She extended her arms, "we've only got one hug at the beginning of the visit, one at the end."

I hesitated, unsure, but slowly moved closer, and, carefully, I wrapped my arms around her. The way she clung onto me, breathing me in, it kind of freaked me out. Last time she did this, she'd just barely escaped to her father's knife, we were 16. I would have sworn she was retaining pained tears.

For how unsure and worried, I better squeezed her against me, to make her feel the warmth of a familiar embrace, but before we could get too used to it, the guard's warning came loud and snappy: "No touching."

"It's just a hug." Maya complained, her face hidden in my chest.

The woman glared at my ex's back. "Step back, inmate."

With a sigh, Maya complied, and when she did, I realized there were tears in her eyes. Just how awful this situation must be if she was about to cry? Still baffled, I sat opposite to her, and tried to breathe properly, despite everything, despite the thousands questions on the tip of my tongue.

"So ... how are you?" Maya asked with a forced smile, attempting a normality that couldn't be there.

"Not that fine, since I've had to drive 3 hours to come see my ex in a federal prison." I countered. "What the fuck is going on, Maya?"