Never judge the book by its cover

DISCLAIMER

This chapter involves heavy subjects, it dwells deep into Will's past, and, may I tell you, saying it's ugly is an understament. Therefore I must advise you to skip the chapter if you think you might not endure it. Or you can start reading from the last couple of pages. Thank you.

CHAPTER 24 - NEVER JUDGE THE BOOK BY ITS COVER

REBECCA'S POV

For comfort, we sat against the headboard of my bed. Will's eyes inevitably fell on my bare legs. Guys can be so predictable.

"You know, Raybee, I can't really focus with your ..." he hinted vaguely at my body, biting his lip, then sighed, looking away. "Goddamn, woman, you're an ongoing temptation..."

I giggled, wrapping my fingers around his biceps as I left my head on his shoulder. "Come on, Willy, hone your stoicism." He barely hid a proud smile at my usage of one of the words he taught me. Sometimes it feels like he does the job my teachers back in school weren't willing to, helping me fill the gap before I'll try to enter college. 

I said I could go to community college, also given my finances, but Will categorically prohibited me to, said if I want to really get a degree, I need to go to a serious college. I'll never admit it to him, but if I say yes to all of his academic suggestions, the pieces of advice he gives me about my education, if I always try my best to learn,it's not just because I want to move forward, take the chances I couldn't, it's also, well, it's mostly ... mostly because I want to make him proud of me. 

I like how he smiles every time we talk about literature or science or any other subject, and I say something meaningful instead of just sit there hanging on his every word. I just ... love seeing him smile and laugh.

Concealing said smile, Will scoffed. "It'd be easier if I were the only man in a brothel full with horny women."

I rolled my eyes, slapping his arm playfully, "That's so gross." My eyes fell onto this chest, and I bit my lip. "For what it's worth, though, you're an ongoing temptation, too..."

He didnt' smirk, as I expected, instead his ears tinged pink, his gaze wandering around my room a bit sheepishly. "That's what the interviewer said."

I frowned, confused, gaping at him. "What?"

Will bit his lip, evidently regretting what he'd just said, but I was more focused on how sexy he looked merely doing that, and how I craved to nip on those full pink lips... "Never mind." He lay down, and even though I was curious, there were more important things to mind other than this mysterious job of his. I'll spit it out of him soon anyways, no worries.

I lay down beside him, cozily snuggling up to him, which had him stiffen the slightest, but in the end he adjusted to it. He did pull the blanket over my nude legs, though. I didn't say anything only because he then sighed.

"I guess I should start from the beginning." Will began. I nodded encouragingly. Eyes on the ceiling, he sighed. "My father is in constructions. He's at the head of one of the largest, privately-held family-owned construction companies in North Carolina. So he's ... well, pretty rich."

I blinked my eyes, surprised. With how much Will works, I'd have never thought his family was wealthy, I thought he was like me, working his butt off to make ends meet because that's the only income he has.

Yet, as if he'd read my mind, Will cared to point out: "It's his money, not mine. It's him to be rich, not me." I know the feeling. My stepfather, and by extension, my mother, are rich, too, but of course, that never included me. They didn't even want me to share their food, imagine their money.