The moment is close

CHAPTER 28 - THE MOMENT IS CLOSE

WILL'S POV

My eyes were probably bloodshot, I could feel them hurt, they always do when I keep them open too long without wearing glasses, especially in the dark. And why did I keep them open in the dark? Because I didn't want to fall asleep, that's why.

Yes, I did it. I was the most idiotic lovesick puppy you could find in a crappy romance, and, after having made sweet love to her, I confessed my feelings, and watched her sleep. All night long. I stayed awake the whole freaking night, just watching Rebecca sleep. How creepy is that?

Well, I guess it wasn't entirely a night, because it was already dawn more or less when she fell asleep, so I guess I spent only a couple of hours doing the creep. I guess that's what love does. There is a difference, though.

I mean, not that I wasn't a lovesick puppy with Mel, hell, of course I was, that's why it was so easy for her to stomp over my heart and dignity, and I did the same with her, watch her sleep, the first months especially, I remained there watching her sleep for a while, because I couldn't wrap my head around the sole fact that a girl like her could have ever decided to want me out of all the guys available.

I mean, when we first met, I wasn't like this, it was the beginning of sophomore year in college, I was still halfway through my path towards self confidence, I'd started going to the gym with Al since a few months only, so there weren't really big results, I wasn't puny, but my muscles weren't as defined as Al's, and I still had a few of my insecurities, given my past, so when we met, I was stunned that one like Mel, so beautiful, so sexy, so everything any guy might ever dream of, wanted me.

When she came to our dorm and knocked on my door, I thought she'd made a mistake, in fact I, baffled, pointed out to her that Al's room was just across from mine, if she wanted him, but she laughed at my question, and assured me I was the one she wanted.

Back then, with a past like mine, girls having almost always picked my friends over me, her choice left me speechless. Had I known what I do now, I would have slammed the door in that bitchy face of hers.

The point is, I did the same with Mel, I watched her sleep, and although she would normally grumble that I was being a creep, I still did it, because my problem is that I don't easily give my heart, but when I do, it's entirely, without boundaries, and goddamn, I was completely and utterly in love with Mel.

Yet, staring at her, having her in my arms, after we'd made love – which we rarely would, because she didn't like a slow and gentle pace, she preferred real sex, and I guess now I understand why –, it wasn't the same as doing it to my Raybee.

I know, it's so cliché, but with my Raybee everything feels different. Even making love to her was different, because I never connected to Mel the same way as I did to my naughty Aphrodite. Only a few hours ago, as we made love, there was such fire enveloping us whole, such flames surrounding our souls more than just our hearts, that it felt like there was no coming back.

As if I were giving up all I had to her, as if I were doing it for the first time, as if I were an unskilled virgin that was doing it for the very first time in his life, and you know what's creepier? That at some point I actually thought I wanted that.

I actually wished I were virgin all over again, that we both were, so that we could discover this uncharted world together. Sappy, I know.

My problem is, I get cheesy when in love. That's the side of me Mel admittedly didn't like, though she only told me towards the end, when she couldn't endure putting up the façade anymore, while before she was all smiles and giggles every time I was romantically sappy with her.