Right and Wrong are no longer relevant

Robert’s POV

“Do you think that guy didn’t really do anything to her?” Tom whispered to me as I looked at Belle’s sleeping form

“I think she would tell us if anything happened. She mentioned he left for somewhere” I looked at him

“I really hope so, but she doesn’t look too good”

“That’s what I’m worried about” I looked down “We need to find a way to get out soon”

“I think that’ll be really hard, Robert. Trust me I want to leave this hell. But it’s scary”

“We’ll end up dying here, anyway. There’s not much to lose”

“I know. You’re right” He said “We have to plan it really well though.”

“Yes” I looked down.

“I’m going to rest now. You should too, man”

“I’ll join you soon”

I looked around as everyone seemed to be extinguishing their fires and going to sleep. I looked over at Deon’s tent, which was only a few tents away. Deon was a man I had seen since the first day I’d come here. He didn’t seem to talk much, he was kind of mysterious. This morning I had seen him tripping on himself, out of nothing, and I caught him before he could fall. It was weird because he was only walking and the sergeants weren’t even close. I made some conversation with him, I think he was convinced he was going to die and was preparing himself to. I don’t think he has eaten for several days and he mentioned the man with whom he shared the tent had been killed. Tom and I tried to push him into more talks, but he didn’t really say much more. I know he wasn’t feeling very well though, so I offered him some of our soup and I hope he’ll feel better aftewards. I guess we have to be here for each other’s, anyway, in a place like this. However, everyone else doesn’t seem to want to approach me and Tom much. Deon was the first who really didn’t seem to mind.

When I decided to extinguish our fire and get back inside, I looked at Belle, peacefully sleeping on my bed. I didn’t want to wake her up neither wanted her to sleep elsewhere. Joining her would be inappropriate so I just sat on the floor beside her and leaned my head into the mattress.

As I was closing my eyes, I felt her tiny arms around my neck “Robert” she whispered “Please don’t sleep on the floor…” she said

“Belle, it’s ok. Go back to sleep”

“No. There’s enough space for us both” She whispered, her eyes barely opened

“Oh, no. That wouldn’t be…”

“Robert… the time and place right and wrong mattered are gone for a while now… don’t you think?”

I looked down, she was right “Come on, you look exhausted”

I climbed onto the mattress as she pulled the blanket over me as well “It’s ok Robert” she leaned into me “Just rest”

I kissed her forehead “You too”

I was woken up by the sunlight entering the tent. I had let the drapes up to be able to wake up before they rang the usual morning bells. I concentrated to try hear something outside. Nothing. Everyone must still be sleeping. I thought.

I looked down at Belle who was holding my arm and leaning onto my left shoulder “Belle?” I whispered to wake her up

“Belle?” I kissed her forehead “Wake up”

“Hmm” She slowly opened her eyes, tightening her grip around my arm. Damn, she’s so loving and sweet.

 Suddenly, she jumped “What time is it?!”