Winter is coming

Belle’s POV

I slowly opened my eyes, my head was leaning against a firm, muscled and comfortable chest. An instant smile appeared in my lips, his amazing scent involving the entire space and his warmth was all I could ask for at nights.

Some weeks had passed by and we were still at Zahra and Omar’s little house. We had set up our tents on the back and were living like that during these times. It was really pleasant, though. I felt good. There were more people there to whom I could talk to and have nice conversations. Although I couldn’t speak their language, I would spend hours with Zahra and Mary with them, mainly the other women there.

The men usually went to hunt, collect food or wood and guard the place. It was a really small place with only a few people, not more than twenty. But they were all very well organized, guarded the place, got supplies and guaranteed everyone’s safety. So, Robert, Tom and Deon had started joining them in their routines.

Women, on the other side, only needed to take care of the clothes and food. Me, the one who’s carrying a child, is not doing anything. I hate this. And this is much to Robert’s fault. He won’t allow me to work or do heavy things. But I am not invalid and I hated having nothing to do.

He quickly spread the word, so now, besides him, no one else lets me do much. I’m basically the queen, watching everyone else working.

Zahra found me some cloths and I’ve been sewing, that’s my only avocation. It’s a good thing I like it and there is something I can work with. Since I’m having a child, I thought about making baby clothes, and I’m loving sewing them.

I looked up at Robert’s sleeping form, he was so handsome. I smiled and ran my hand up his chest, stopping at the necklace with a horseshoe he still had. That is the only thing he has from his family. From his little sister to be more exact. So I know he holds on to it with all his heart.

“Hmmm” he started waking up “Good morning Belle”

“Good morning, Robert”

He kissed my forehead “Good sleep?”

“Great” I looked at him “You’re the best blanket, you know?”

“It’s not that cold in here. Actually, a lot warmer than our home”

“I know. But winter is coming and despite all that, it’s colder at night”

“Yes…” he sat up on the bed

“You’re going hunting again?”

“Yes” he looked at me “It helps me get some fresh hair and keep my mind sane” he half smiled. I knew he was talking about Tom.

They weren’t talking even, now. They chose different days to go hunting, guarding or getting wood.

“You should talk better… you’re best friends for god sake, you love each other”

“Belle… I’m getting to a point that only the sound of his voice annoys me”

I sighed “Just try to keep it together… don’t get it worse”

He kissed my forehead again “I’ll try honey. Now, will you be ok?”

“Of course” I smiled

“Don’t make efforts” He put his shirt on

“Robert, I am not invalid… I told you I….” he interrupted

“Belle… I know, and I know you don’t like having nothing to do” he knelt next to me “But I worry” he caressed my face “Even more since that unfortunate fall”