r u b y

✧✦✧✦✧✦✧

you went back to your favorite tree at three in the afternoon the next day, and found tyler there.

"hello." he said, his soft morning sunshine smile making you grin. "hello." you replied shyly, sitting down next to him and crossing your legs at the ankles.

"so...last night...why did you say i was blue?" he asked, and you sighed. you never liked explaining this part to people, it was always too complicated and made you feel purple-grey inside.

"have you ever heard of synesthesia?" you asked, and his brow crinkled again. "i...i think so." he said, absentmindedly folding his hands. "i saw you last night, and i was surprised to see you because no one is ever out that late except me, and you looked up, and you were just...blue." you told him, and he smiles.

"i see." he said, and you didn't know if he really did or not. "so, what exactly, to you, is the word..." he thinks for a moment. "ruby?" he asked, and you closed your eyes, leaning your head back against the tree. "say it again, please." you whispered, and you hear him let a breath out.

"ruby."

a volcano of images erupted in your mind, could you possibly count them all?

"ruby is a new hoodie, messy handwriting in red pen, frost on red berries, and the smell of a craft store." you said finally, opening your eyes to look at tyler. you expected to see him looking at you like you'd grown a third eye, but instead, he was smiling his soft morning sunshine smile.

"i like that." he said, and after a moment, he looked at you.

"what am i?" he asked, and you sighed. you didn't want to tell him yet, that'd be weird. purple-grey. "i don't know yet. maybe i'll tell you..." you said, and he finished your sentence after you were quiet for a moment. "tomorrow?" he asked. you nodded looking out at the park.

"tomorrow."

✧✦✧✦✧✦✧