f i v e

I had missed this apartment, the dirty carpet and shower head that only had two temperature options: Hellfire or snowstorm. I'd even missed the television that I'd picked up from some second-hand store, that couldn't play any channels without blaring radio static. 

Just sitting in the armchair flooded my sense with memories so overwhelming tears flooded my eyes. I shook my head and pushed myself upright, patting down my skirt and walking toward the door. I needed to find Jughead and apologize properly.

The semi-formal was tonight, and Archie had already told me he would be attending with Betty and Veronica on his arm, but if I knew Jughead (which I did) than he was definitely at Pop's Chock'lit Shop avoiding the celebrations as best he could. The bell rang above me as I entered and immediately Pop's eyes were on me joined by a bright smile that always lit up his tired features.

I spun around my eyes searching the room before they landed on a familiar mop of red hair. As if on cue, Archie slid out of the booth and stood; revealing Jughead's exhausted frame.

"Lola," Archie greeted pushing past me hurriedly.

"Archie." I replied moving toward Jughead's booth.

Jughead's eyes turned down to his computer screen as I approached, clearly pretending he hadn't seen me.

"Mind if I sit?" I asked, rolling my bottom lip into my mouth nervously.

He ignored me which I took as a 'yes'. I slid into the seat opposite him, smiling brightly.

"I wanted to apologize." I began, that seemed to grab his attention; his eyes flicking upward from the screen to mine, "I— I should've explained. I'm sorry, Jughead."

He sighed, closing his computer, "Why did you leave?"

My eyes flitted about the room, my hands fidgeting beneath the table, "I just couldn't stay."

"Why not?" He pressed, leaning forward.

"Jug, not now. Okay?" I pleaded leaning forward on my elbows.

He scoffed and scooped up his laptop, "See you, Lola."