s e v e n

JUGHEAD'S POV

Lola walked beside me; she had invited me to her apartment and the gesture alone had made my skin tingle. I was stiff and rigid, entirely aware of how close she was to me and that there was no way in the world I could continue this facade of being mad at her; when really seeing her in the gymnasium that day had brought the first genuine smile to my face since she left.

The walk to her apartment was so familiar, I could've done it in my sleep. I'd memorized every tree, every crack in the pavement we passed.

Lola seemed so unsure of herself, fidgeting with her hands the way she had when we'd first met. I can remember the way her confident demeanor had melted away the confident smirk replaced with an eye-crinkling smile.

Once we'd arrived she pushed open the door revealing the all too familiar apartment.

"Okay." Lola began, spinning around to face me and rubbing her hands together nervously, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. I probably shouldn't have even invited you back here. I just— shit. I'm terrible at this."

She was the epitome of nerves, her eyes flicking between my face and the floor, shifting on her feet uncomfortably. I swallowed thickly, a million emotions pooling in my stomach.

"Lola," I began, my voice a lot thicker than I'd imagined, "It's fine."

I wanted so desperately to ask her again but I knew I'd get the same response, the same sigh and the same turning away. I knew I shouldn't stay here, that I had to keep up this charade; pretending that I was mad at her. But standing in our old apartment, her blue-green eyes boring into mine, I couldn't help myself.

Without me realizing it, a small smile had crept onto my face and she beamed in reply holding my gaze for a moment before spinning around. Lola flitted about the place mumbling about how she hadn't had a chance to properly unpack before settling on the couch; her legs curled underneath her and her chin propped up on her elbow.

I walked toward her, my hands in my pockets and my put-together facade melting away. I sat beside her; the warmth radiating from her form sending chills throughout my body.

She grinned at me; a smile big enough to crinkle her eyes and rested her head on my shoulder. Her entire body moulded against my spine; I'd forgotten what it was like for someone to fit me like a puzzle piece.

I'd forgotten what it was like to belong someplace.