s e v e n t e e n

Veronica had called me three times, the phone buzzing against the wooden dining table. She was upset, to say the least, and my ignoring of her wasn't helping the situation. I stood in the kitchen, Jughead was in the living room a James Dean movie illuminating the room. I couldn't sit still, I knotted my fingers together as the shrill ringing of my phone sounded for the second time that night.

I moved to decline it but met Jughead's eyes with mine and sheepishly smiled.

"Answer it, Lo. Who are you trying so hard to avoid?"

I smiled and grabbed the phone by means of dodging his question.

Veronica began immediately, "Okay, I have so many questions. And thanks for finally answering me."

"Sorry, I just—" I attempted but she quickly cut me off.

"Save the excuses for your domesticated boyfriend. Who, by the way, you definitely need to tell and maybe don't run away from him immediately after?"

"I just—"

"Stop with the excuses, I got your address from Betty. I need answers, I'll meet you there in five and you can explain to me and your boyfriend at the same time. Bye!" My entire body froze as the phone slipped from my grasp, landing on the linoleum floor with a bang.

Jughead turned to face me, his arm slung over the couch, "Everything okay?"

I balled my hands into fists. "No, no it's not."