e i g h t

The morning sun fell against my face in shards, shining through the blinds. The warmth shifted the black behind my eyelids to a fleshy orange before I peeled my gluey eyelids open. Jughead and I were still on the couch; we'd fallen asleep watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show (my favorite movie of all time).

I was curled against his side; my head resting against his chest and his arm snaked around my waist. His chin rested on the top of my head and I could hear his soft heartbeat against his chest. I lay still afraid that if I moved I'd wake him; that I'd break this spell we'd fallen under that reminded me so much of how we used to be.

I laid there against his chest, basking in the morning sun for what seemed mere seconds before he stirred. Jughead heaved a breath, his chest shuddering as he did so, and sat upright, easy my body onto the couch as he stood. I shut my eyes, feigning unconscious until I heard him pad toward the door. I heard the familiar click of the lock as the door opened and shut, and I sat bolt upright but he was gone.

The only evidence left behind was his scent that lingered on the couch cushions and flooded my senses with memories of late nights together.