t w e n t y o n e

Jughead hadn't come back in two days, so, with anxiety racking my bones, I drove to the school that I once attended. My white knuckled grip on the steering wheel showcasing my dislike for the place.

Jughead was leaning against his bike when I found him, deep in conversation with a familiar ginger haired boy. I approached them with a plastered on smile but Archie's hard gaze cut through my facade like butter.

"Jughead, Archie," I greeted, the smile long gone.

Archie nodded at me, "I gotta go. See you, Jug."

I shifted my eyes from Archie's retreating frame back to Jughead who hadn't met my eyes yet, "Jug, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

He shook his head, "Don't-don't apologise."

I rolled my lip into my mouth my grip on the strap of my messenger bag tightening.

"I can't tell you that I'm angry you didn't call someone. That you left Jason Blossom for dead on the side of some back street somewhere, because I don't know if I would've done the same. I'm mad because you waited a month to tell me." He wasn't leaning on his motorbike anymore, now he standing in front of me, his voice dripping with anger and his eyes glistening with a sheen of unshed tears.

"I'm mad that you still can't trust me with this stuff, I tell you everything. Always. And this, you kept this from me for a month?" His jaw tightened as stepped closer toward me, waiting for my response.

"Jug, I—" But I was cut off by an unfamiliar voice.

"Lola Smith." I spun around, Sheriff Keller's concerned eyes meeting mine, "You're under arrest for the murder of Jason Blossom."