e i g h t e e n

I sat down on the coffee table, with my back toward the television. The light from the screen illuminated Jughead who sat opposite me, concern knitting together his eyebrows. I drew in a deep breath and pulled his hands into my lap, wrapping them in my own.

"Look, Jug, this is hard to say. Really hard to say." He straightened, leaning closer to me. "I haven't been completely honest with you."

"About what?" His voice thick and his eyes reflected my own.

"I didn't leave because of my brother. I, uh," I dropped my head, gnawing on my bottom lip, "I killed Jason Blossom."

"What?" He attempted to interject but I ignored him, the words tumbling out of me.

"I was driving and I hit him, I tried to do something but I was scared. I got in my car and I drove off, I was too scared to come back but then I saw the papers and I couldn't live with myself." Tears flowed down my cheeks in rivers, and I waited for Jughead to wrap his arms around me but he didn't.

He was stiff, when I finally met his gaze his eyes were wide.

"Lo, you didn't kill him."

I shook my head, "Uh, yes I did."

"No, Jason Blossom died from a bullet wound in his head," Jughead stated, his wide eyes trained on mine.

"What?" I asked, but it came out less like a question and more like a sigh of relief.

Jughead moved beside me, pulling my head against his chest as his arms wrapped around my trembling frame.

The pair were interrupted by the screeching of the door hinges, and a familiar voice dripping with anger, "Lola, I'm here."