n i n e t e e n

Veronica sat at the dining table behind Jughead who hadn't moved from the coffee table, whilst I walked laps around the pair my thoughts racing and my words slurring together in a hurried mess.

"Wait, L, this still isn't adding up," Veronica finally interrupted my rambling, confusion drawing together her perfectly kept eyebrows, "Who's Peabody?"

"I already explained this, Ronnie, she's my lawyer. Penny Peabody works for the serpents. I was scared and-and I asked her to help me out, but she called me today to tell me she was dropping the case." I explained, stopping my laps to watch Veronica's expression.

She nodded and rested her head on her hand, her blood red manicured fingernails curling around her jaw, "But what was she doing? Why hadn't she told you that you hadn't killed Jason?"

"I don't know, she's just shady I guess. I owed her a favor, for helping me. Maybe she just wanted to cash it in, I don't know." My pacing resumed as anxiety curled around my bones.

Jughead was still uneasy, his eyes glazed over and fixed on a picture of us I'd hung on the wall long ago. I turned to him, desperate for him to calm me down, wind his arms around me and whisper reassurances into my platinum blond hair. But he didn't.

He stood suddenly as if the feeling of my eyes on him was invasive and unwelcome. He walked toward the door and shrugged on his jacket that had been left lying on the kitchen bench.

"Jug, where are you going?" I asked moving toward him, arm outstretched.

He turned to me his eyes reflecting the harsh lighting of my apartment and spoke to me in a hurried whisper, "I have to go."