Chapter 3

Some things aren't good, but sometimes you just gotta look around and find all the good things. They may be discreet but theyre still there, you just gonna open your eyes. Then youll find something that was always there. And youll see something you wanna protect.

Alex's P.O.V

My head is pounding. I groaned in the darkness around me. All of me hurt. I heard voices and i could barely feel arms wrapped around me. "Hush.." I whispered, trying to wake up, knowing something was wrong "Hush.." The voices stopped.

I opened my eyes barely and shut them immediately. My eyes burned, like i hadnt closed them in hours. I looked around and saw a dirty, but organized room. I sighed and then heard gasps all around me. My head shot up but i groaned at the pain. "ALEX!!" Jerry amd Naomi yelled in shock. I flinched and wondered what was squeezing me. I looked down and saw two arms wrapped around me. Blue hoodie. Kurtis.

"Guys shush, the things could be near!" I whispered, tensing and listening hard. All three other tensed before giggling. I looked at them confused. What the fuck are they laughing at? There could be things around, what? "Alex, dont you remember where we are?" asked Naomi giggling. I looked around and knew immediately since I'm more awake.

"Oh.."

"Yeah, I know now. Guys.." I said, suddenly serious. They tensed and listened "we need to leave here. This base, its around the outskirts of our city. I know you might not wanna leave, but this city in Nevada isnt safe anymore. We gotta go. Maybe there is somewhere safe, i dunno. Theres alot of mysteries around this." I say slowly. They seem to ponder this.

They wait a few minutes until Naomi says something "what if there is no safe place?" i sighed, replying "thats the whole point of an adventure Naomi, you dont know about whether not youll succeed, but its the journey and actually doing it that will give you answers." she seemes satisfied. Its almost like she asked the question that was on all their minds. "We will do it, together!" they chorused. I smiled at their sync and said "together."

They dont know that I love them deeply. All of them. Maybe one person more than i should. Thats my secret though. This world is confusing. "Alex.. Are you sure youre alright? You passed out when we left base, and Jerry told us everything." asked Naomi carefully. I cursed myself silently for scaring them so bad.

"You guys.. Are sweet. I am fine however, dont worry about me. I aint letting those dirty things get to me!" I ended with a chuckle at the last sentence. They all smiled and relaxed. "Hey, guys, i hate bossing you around like this, but we gotta go. We WILL come back someday, but for now it isnt safe. Please, we have to go." i pleaded slightly. I honestly dont know where we will go. But we are going somewhere.

The next day

We are all prepared. We took whatever we could from the base. Id say we got a headstart. We are now in a lush green forest, thick brush everywhere. Suddenly, I freeze. Instincts taking over I move to block Naomi just as a loud SCREEEEEEEEAAAAAA echoed through the air. I grabbed my daggar, I wasnt thinking. I was just doing. I pushed Naomi back with my arm as a creature leapt out of the tree. I grunted and Naomi stifled a scream. It snapped at me and I saw my life flash before my eyes. I kept my hands on its neck and pushed back on it. It grabbed me and slammed me into the ground over and over again.

I pushed it up with one hand, grunting at the numb feeling in my arm as it became exhausted at this beast's strength. I gripped my daggar and ripped it in the things neck. I closed my eyes and mouth before its infected blood could get in my somehow. It gargled and spat, the spit/blood sloshed onto the ground beside my head and I ripped out my daggar and smashed it into its head, splattering rotten flesh out.

The beast stopped its movement. I gasped for breath and threw it off me. I opened my eyes and rolled onto my belly, still gasping. I felt light headed. I looked over and saw the creature. Its bone in its neck was noticeable where I stabbed it and I almost threw up at the sight when I looked at its face. Its skin was peeling off and its color was black and green, rotten and festering. Its eye popped out of socket from the force of my daggar when I shoved it in its brain, lying out, looking at me frozen and glassy. Its imagine forever etched into my mind.

I caught my breath and looked away. I looked forward and saw my group, Naomi frozen and her eyes glassed over. "Welp , we need to talk later" I thought. Beside her I saw Jerry with his head turned to the side and he was trembling. Kurtis looked stricken, his eyes held fear and guilt. "Oh gosh, he better not start feeling bad" I thought huffing. I got uo feling my numb arm get circulation back. It hurts ill admit. I dont care though.

"Guys.." I call out, Naomi snaps to attention and Jerry and Kurtis looks at me. "Lord alright, we gotta keep going." they nodded, still pale but slowly returning color into their faces.

I dont know how long we walked. Pretty far. The sun is high now. Maybe at 12pm. Cause next thing we know we are on an abandoned road. As we stand in the middle on my left is an endless field full of wheat like you see in the movies. A sea of peaceful brown. On my right is the forest the hold a horrid memory of my encounter with the beast.

Ahead of me is an endless road. Its cement cracked and worn down. Even though the apocolypse happened just short of maybe 3 days ago, this road looks like it hasnt been used in so many years. I have a feeling though, a very bad feeling that something is gonna happen. I need to be on guard now. Who knows what might happen.