Chapter 5

Kurtis P.O.V

Darkness, thats all i could see. I could hear shuffling... And.. Breathing?!

I shot up and felt pain all over me. I groaned in pain, then an image flashed through my mind and I remembered everything.

Alex... The attack... SHES GONE?! No.. I wont believe it... I remember her words she said to me. "Be safe. I love you" oh no... She didnt.. Her smile fashed through my mind. She... planned it. She knew.. I wont accept it.. She cant be.. gone.

A sob tore through my throat. I felt tears run down my cheek. Warm. Just like the look in her eyes as she pushed me. I heard groans around me. I looked up and finally decided to acknowledge my surroundings, grief being pushed to the back of my mind. I saw the bag of supplies Alex gave me to carry.

Naomi groaned again and got up, hissing at what i guess was a headache. I saw a patch of moss under her knees, most likely to soften the fall so they wouldnt damage. I could see her dimly as the vines above moved to let in light. We were in a deep dark cave. The walls are round, like it was hollowed out for us. I saw Jerry still down, but it looked like he was waking up too. Naomi finally spoke "where's Alex?"

Time froze for a moment and I stared her in the eyes and shook my head. Her eyes glossed for a moment, most likely remembering what happened. I saw a tear slide down her face. "No..." she whispered "No... no no no no NO! NO! Is she.. gone?" she cried. I heard a sniffle and saw Jerry start to cry too. I couldnt help the tear that slid down my face. "Guys.. C'mere" I said almost whispering.

They scooted in front of me and I looked at them firmly. "No way is Alex dead. I know she wouldnt die so easily. She aint gonna let no weird white suit people kill her. Shes too hard headed. And..."

Flashback

(2 years before the apocalypse)

Alex and I sat in the park one time in summer. It was night time and we were watching the stars. We were laying on our back on a hill. It was amazing. Alex said she always admired the stars. "I always admired the stars yknow" she said suddenly and i jumped. She has a small smile on her face. "Oh?" i said. She smiled bigger and spoke "yeah.. I do admire them alot. They last a long time, and even then they die with a bang." I stared at her for a moment. I question popped up in my mind and I blurted it out "how would you want to die?"

She looked at me and giggled "why would you wanna ask that? We are only 12 dude, haha." she stopped giggling seeing I was serious "alright alright, gosh, well Id say you dont know how youll die. However, like the stars, " she grinned, " Id like to go out with a big bang. So nothing can really stop me." I laughed when she clapped her hands at bang.

Flashback ends

I smiled remembering that and continued from where i paused "...And she'd will let herself go out with a big BANG" I clapped my hands just like she did and Naomi and Jerry giggled. "But, we gotta find out who took her. She was hurt. If they wanted to kill her they wouldnt have stuck a needle in her. Please we gotta save her."  Naomi nodded, a fire in her eyes. Jerry had determination etched on his face. "But, we will have to fight those things. This trip isnt gonna be easy. We gotta FIGHT for our survival. We gotta LIVE, FOR ALEX!" they paled at the killing part but immediately bounced back for Alex.

The vines above us shook in agreement and we froze. Slowly i got up and asked "can you show us the way out please?" the leaves and roots rustled in what i took as a yes and I yelled out in shock. The groud beneath us rose with us on top. The opening widened as we were brought out. Naomi and Jerry too in shock to say anything. I hissed as my eyes tried to adjust to the sunlight. My eyes widened as I took in the scenery. All around us was just prairie land. It looked safe. It was warm out. I almost believed that the apocalypse was a dream for a moment but that was ripped away as I remembered a special family member was missing. Taken. Kidnapped. Stolen.