Five- Preparing for a Fun night

‘Cause you’ve got that… One Thing’ I echoed the radio from earlier. ‘SO GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT OF MY HEAD!’ I sang, skipping and twirling around the apartment. Everything was completely silent so I assumed Monique was still at work or something. ‘AND FALL INTO MY ARMS INSTEAD!’ I was completely off key and the only part of the song I could remember was the chorus, despite hearing it numerous from through the wall of Monique’s bedroom. ‘I DON’T, I DON’T DON’T KNOW WHAT IT IS! BUT I NEED THAT ONE THING! AND YOU’VE GOT THAT, ONE THING!’ I twirled, throwing my keys onto the bench and bag on the couch. I took off my jumper and name tag, throwing it with my bag. I skipped down the hall humming, twirling at Monique’s door, which was covered in posters of the boys. I found the biggest one of Zayn. ‘YOU’VE GOT THAT ONE THING!’ I sang, giggling. ‘That thing is my HEART!’ I muttered, breaking into a laughing fit. Suddenly, the door swings open, with a smiling Monique standing on the other side.

‘You seem cheery!’ She grinned, obviously hearing my singing. I honestly hope she didn’t hear that last part.
‘Yeah. I have a…’ I said, hesitating on what I was about to say. I couldn’t say date, because she’d want to know who it was. ‘…bird observation meeting tonight.’ I said cooly. Wait, what? Bird observation meeting? Are you kidding me? Do those even exist? Even if they do… I live in the city!

What the fudge cakes was I thinking? Monique gives me a strange stare and nods, closing her door. I can’t help but giggle- what was I going to say I did there? We discussed pigeons? Wait- no, Monique would ask about the bird that Louis owns or something. I couldn’t risk that now, could I? I smirked to myself, going into my room and changing into a pair of not-so-skinny skinny jeans and a crimson flow top, one I only wear on special occasions. Obviously, this date was a special occasion. I go and grab my phone, reviewing the details of tonight again.
‘I’m staying at the crown casino, one of the penthouse suites.  Just ask reception for the room key. Don’t bring a thing; we’ve got everything we’ll need. See you at 6, we’ll have dinner at the restaurant. –Zayn xx’
I smile, looking at the clock. It was only 3:30, so I had 2 hours, allowing half an hour to catch the tram there.

To pass the time, I put on Monique’s One Direction CD, just because I’d never really taken an interest in their music until this morning. First on the CD, was What Makes You Beautiful.
I’d heard this song almost every day on the radio and through the walls of my room, so I started to sing along. It was more sub-conscious singing, if I really thought about it, I couldn’t properly remember the lyrics.
‘You’re insecure, don’t know what for. You’re turning heads when you walk through the do-o-or!’
Why hadn’t I taken an interest before? This music was amazing. Well, it was amazing because Zayn was in it. I wasn’t saying the other boys weren’t good, but I could almost call Zayn mine, so then I could say ‘My baby’s on the radio!’ and tear up, as If I was a proud mother or something. This thought made my laugh. I was being stupid.

After about 20 minutes of listening to the music, I switched the CD off and decided to go and hang with my non-boy-band-crazed best friend Lily, who I met when we moved into the apartments. She wasn’t as close to me as Monique was, but I could confide a lot of my secrets in her as she could I; and she understood my situation more because she was the same age as me. Lily had a boyfriend named Liam (he wasn’t in One Direction) and he was a bit older than her, so she was moved in with him. I made my way out of the apartment, grabbing my matching crimson purse and slipping on matching heels. I’d done my hair with a black headband, combing back my fringe. My make-up wasn’t too full on, so it almost looked natural. I admit- I liked the way I looked tonight.

Monique suddenly appeared in the lounge.
‘Are you going already?’ She said, scanning my outfit. She raised her eyebrow; obviously working out this was no ordinary Bird Observation Meeting.  I grinned.
‘Yeah. I’m going over to Lily’s, and then I’ll go to my meeting.’ I replied. She gave me a ‘get serious’ look and placed her hand on her hip. I just sighed and shook my head, closing the door. I run down the stairs to the next floor, and bound along the landing to Lily’s apartment door. I quickly knock, open the door, and spin around.