Twenty Six- An emotional goodbye

I took the last jellybean and slipped it into Zayn’s mouth, smiling like an idiot. He giggles his cute laugh and chews it, happily eating it. We place the bowl back on the table and I pick up my phone, just as Monique and Harry enter the room.
‘Bags packed?’ I smile, keeping a strong face for the sake of everyone else.
‘I said goodbye to everyone else. Lily’s already in the car. All my bags are in the car.’ She thinly smiles, still linked onto Harry. I nod and take Zayn’s hand as we take the last items out of the room, flicking the lights off. We walked down the hallway in silence, heads down, bags in our hands. Harry and Zayn had shades over their faces and Monique and I just kept our hair over our faces, making sure no-one recognized us.

We stepped out into the air and back into a long black car where Lily and Niall sat in silence, hand in hand. We joined them, also silent, smiles firmly on our faces. This was only the start of the goodbye.
The car ride was mainly silent. There were jokes, statements and a few lyrics sung here and there, but apart from that, I think all of our thoughts were in the same place.
We hadn’t been close for that long. Less than a week, in fact. If you want exact figures, I’d say about 5 days. 5 days was enough for all of us to come together, to become almost a family. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
Going past the wind nets, I realized there was less than an hour left. We were only 15 minutes from the airport, and time just seemed to go quicker and quicker. The airport drew closer as we did to crying; it was almost emotional, just sitting there in the car with each other. As soon as the airport is in view, everything goes quiet. Even the radio seems to fade into the background.

It shouldn’t even be emotional; I’d have to do this several times today. How I was supposed to last so long was a mystery.
We stepped out of the car and we stood outside Melbourne international airport. We were just across the road and we could see all the terminals from where we stood. We all exchanged glances and took Monique’s bags. They hit the ground with a thud and we drag them across the overpass to a road, where we cross and get into the main airport. It smelt of new car.

We stroll down stairs and into the check in desk, where there were very few people in queue. Harry and Monique line up while the rest of us agree to go and get some breakfast. Zayn, Niall, Lily and I wander around clueless, until we find a Starbucks behind a few fast-food joints. We sit at a booth near the corner with green leather seats and a black table. Zayn and Niall go up to order for all 6 of us when Monique and Harry come back and take a seat with us.
‘All checked in.’ Monique says, stroking Harry’s hand. He just nods with a thin smile, taking her hand in his. Lily and I exchange a smile as we discuss the college campus in L.A.

Zayn and Niall re-join us at the booth with an order number and a muffin for each of us. We take a few small bites from our muffins, more interested in Monique describing the college she applied for.
‘It’s quite big. The learning standards are quite high. I’ve been assigned a room or something already apparently, I’m quite excited.’ She smiles, nibbling her muffin.
‘What course are you taking?’ Niall asks. That was a good point; it had never really crossed my mind until now.

‘Well I know law is definitely going to be one, but I’m not sure what other ones I should do.’ We all nod, and look over to a girl who was bringing over our beverages. 
‘Oh my fucking god, you’re One Direction.’ Her eyes nearly pop out of her head and she grabs onto the table to steady herself. She puts our drinks of the table and takes a deep breath in.
‘Are you the girlfriends?’ She smiles. Lily, Monique and I nod, awkwardly avoiding eye contact.
‘Oh wow- I admire you. You’re all over the news at the moment.’ She grins, a sparkle in her eye. I mentally smack my head on the table. Monique cringes and Lily just grins.
‘Really?!’ Lily squeals, gripping Niall’s hand. She nods, and the boys automatically stand up for a picture. She happily takes out her phone and snaps a picture with her, Niall, Zayn and Harry. She thanks them and then she stays there, blushing.