Chapter Twenty-Seven: Silent

Tsuki
(ATH)

I just sat there, in shock. I didn't move, and I didn't speak. My arm felt heavier, as if some of Alena's pain had gone into i's healing. She ran off, Rayn following. Ali was dead. I didn't know him that well, but I knew how important he was to Alena, if not the mission. I couldn't help but feel deep pity for Alena. But was it wrong?

Was it wrong to only feel pity and not sadness? 

I did;t know him well, after all.... But he was a comrade at the very least. Now he was gone.

Lives were so fragile, weren't they? 

You could complain about it all you wanted, but in the end you were only silent. 

Silent as life betrayed you. I flexed my arm. Now was a good time to be alone for a bit. I knew sooner or later, everyone would find out that I was now Moon Guardian in name only. Yeah, I can fight with my feet, but I wasn't about to walk barefoot everywhere. I was as good as dead, in the end. I picked up Yorukaze with my left hand. She had been strangely silent, and I missed her snarky remarks and encouragement. I walked off into the opposite direction of Alena. Umair sat with Kaito, but I didn't expect both to be alone. Sure enough, Kaito came after me. 

"Oi Kaito." I sighed. "I need to be by myself for a bit. Is it alright if you go hunt?" 

"Uh, yeah. Sure, sure." His presence left. I exhaled, and kept walking. My shoes snapped a few twigs here and there, but I wasn't trying to be stealthy. Once I was a good distance away, I swapped my sword to my right hand. 

"C'mon..." I winced and closed my fingers around it with my left hand. Once I felt like Yorukaze was secure, I slashed air. Yorukaze slipped, spinning into a tree. 

"GAH!" I screamed into the air. "WHY?" I huffed and headed to my sword. I tried to tug it with my right hand, but I only stumbled backwards. I used my left hand instead. It came out cleanly, a few splinters here and there.

I tried again... Trying a thrust. 

And again... Pretending to do a parry.

And again. Every time my right hand failed me. I was on the verge of tears now, but they wouldn't come out. 

So I adamantly gave up on my right hand. The thing was, my right hand was still very familiar with sword movements, so I ended up trying to teach my left hand.

"How ridiculous." I grumbled, after about two hours of trying. My left hand was less choppy and awkward, but it was a long shot from what I used to be. So I tried taking off my shoes and putting two small daggers in between my two feet. I jumped into the air, my left hand holding my in a one-handed handstand and I spun my legs in a wide arc, slashing the two trees next to me. "Still good on that front." I said, a bit proud to still have that talent. Well, if I could do that, I could fight with my left hand, right? I didn't get why I had such a hard time. I usually learn combat skills rapidly, but my left arm seemed to be the Achilles Heel of my whole being. 

I adjusted my strap on my right side, so my left side could draw the sword. I put my shoes back on and practiced drawing. Actually drawing the sword is a challenge for new combatants, especially if the sheath is on your back. I hate hip sheaths, because it gets in the way of movement. I had to be careful, considering I actually could cut my own neck trying to draw my sword. Fortunately, I didn't feel anything wrong as I drew the sword with my left hand. Until I felt  the blood run down my cheek. 

"AH CrAP!!!" I hissed, my hand flying to my cheek. "Am I really that bad?" I sighed and wiped the blood away. It was shallow, but I couldn't afford to be spurting silver whenever I drew my sword. "I think I'm done." I sighed, heading back the way I came. Only Umair, Rayn and Alena were there. 

"Where are Eliana and Kaito?" I asked.

"Uhhhhh..." Umair swallowed.

"Did you guys loose track of them?" I exclaimed, not angry but more worried. I didn't want to press on Alena especially, but Rayn was an option. "Rayn?" I asked. He lifted his hands and shrugged.

"I don't know... I was with Alena."

"Oh yeah." I bit my lip. Now was no time to be separated. We were all at the largest gulf ever emotionally. "Umair, did Eliana and Kaito go together?"

"Uh huh." Umair bobbed his head up and down.

Well, that was a relief.

But what were they doing exactly?