Two truths and One Lie

I woke up early the next morning and headed downstairs. I was surprised to find that I was the last one up when I went down to the kitchen and found all of the boys looking sweaty and wolfing down large stacks of pancakes. 

I looked at the clock on the microwave which read seven am. "What time did you guys get up?"I asked curiously walking around the kitchen island.

"We go for a run every morning at five," One of the twins had said. At least I was assuming they were twins because they looked so similar. I think Bennett had said their names were Shade and Storm.

"You want some pancakes?" Paxton asked offering me a plate.

"Uh no thanks I'm not much of a breakfast person," I said feeling very conscious that I was still in my pj's "But I will have some tea if you have it".

"I think we might have a tea bag in that cabinet over there, but I'll put tea on the grocery list for the next time we go to the store" Paxton smiled.

"Thanks" I blushed rummaging through the cabinet he had pointed to thankful for an excuse to hide my face.

I made a steaming mug of tea and sat in an empty seat at the table aware that I had interrupted the conversation that they'd been having previously.

"So we have a busy schedule for today, but first I just want to layout the house rules for Brandon and Britney as well as for those of you who seem to need a reminder," Bennett said looking meaningfully at the twins who high fived.

"I try to be as relaxed in my parenting style as I can be, but there are some ground rules that I expect you to obey. First and foremost we eat dinner every night at six-thirty and I expect you all to be here. If you can't please call and check in with me. Second, curfew for everyone is ten o'clock sharp with the exception of full moon nights where I expect you all to be home and inside by sundown. If you cannot make it home by ten call me and I or someone else will come and get you." Bennett said. I would have thought it was a joke, but no one was laughing.

I tentatively raised my hand which caused a few people to laugh. "Britney if you have a question you don't have to raise your hand" Bennett chuckled.

"Why do we have to be home earlier on nights with a full moon?' I said confused. All of the boys looked nervously at Bennett.

"People tend to get a little wild with full moons and around here a lot of people have guns. I just would rather not risk having any of you getting accidentally shot by a slightly crazed hunter," he smiled as if this was the most normal thing in the world. I guess I had heard of crime rates going up on a full moon so it wasn't totally insane. I nodded accepting the rule.

"Excellent" Bennett said "That's pretty much it. Just check in with me if you need anything or want to go anywhere. Oh, we have family meetings every Monday night where we all put our schedules up on the calendar". He pointed to a large whiteboard calendar that took up almost a full wall. "I took in the liberty of filling in your schedule since you just got here. Britney, Truitt is going to take you to your equestrian class in an hour and a half ok?"

I nodded knowing that it wasn't a question. I wondered what the others were going to be doing while I was in my class. By the time I was paying attention to the meeting again it had disbanded so I got up and washed out my mug before going over and looking at the calendar. I noticed that I was the only one who had activities that would take me away from the house scheduled every day. I also noticed that the schedule had someone dedicating to taking each class with me. Truitt was apparently in my equestrian class, Shade was in my synchronized swimming class and Paxton was taking ballet with me.

I ran upstairs and found three large bags each one filled with the specific gear for each of the new activities. I smiled wryly and wondered if this was a message telling me that while this was technically my room it was not a private space. I shook my head feeling ridiculous. Bennett had been nothing, but nice and this was simply another kind gesture that I was trying to find some malevolent meaning for.