Just a Fool

After that first night of agony, the physical pain began to fade leaving me feeling hollow. My dad came and sat at the edge of my bed gently rubbing my back, but he didn't say anything. I got the feeling that he had no idea how to handle this situation so instead, he just let me be. Someone brought up breakfast and later lunch, but I didn't see who. It didn't matter.

Later that night Liv and Ava came up and sat with me on the bed. I listen to them talk about school for a while before they both lapsed back into silence. "How are you feeling?" Liv asked eventually.

"Empty," I said truthfully "I feel like I'm not really here just watching everything happening around me". In truth, I think I preferred the pain to this hollowness. At least then I knew I could feel something even if it was excruciating.

"I've heard that can happen," Ava said tentatively "I can't imagine the pain you must have felt". I saw her shudder out of the corner of my eye.

"I'll kill him if you want," Liv said and I got the sense she was only half-joking.

"If you don't my dad might," I said attempting to make a joke, but it sounded forced.

"Brittney" I heard Greyson call from outside. I looked at Ava and Liv who looked as startled as I did. We crept over to the window that overlooked the street careful to stay far enough back so that we wouldn't be seen.

Greyson looked as terrible as I felt. Dark circles hung under his eyes and his hair was pointing every which way and I couldn't help but think bitterly that he was still incredibly handsome even in this disheveled state. "Brittney please talk to me," he said in a strangled voice "I know you're in here". I saw him drop to his knees hands over his eyes. Despite everything, I still wanted to go to him and ease his pain.

Before I move though I saw my dad storm out of our house looking as fierce as I had ever seen him. "How dare you show your face here after what you did" he boomed. "The only reason I haven't killed you or at least banished you from the pack is that it's not up to me to decide what to do with your worthless hide" he growled.

"Please just let me see her," Greyson said not caring about my father "I need to see her". He sounded like a man lost in the desert asking for water.

I stood up compelled to go and see Greyson despite knowing that I shouldn't. "Honey you don't have to go talk to him if you don't want to," Liv said gently "I can go and get rid of him right now if you want".

"No this is something I have to do," I said firmly my voice hoarse from disuse.

"We can come with you" Ava offered, but I shook my head. This was something I had to do on my own.

"Please go inside," I said gently to my dad as I walked outside letting my bare feet feel the cool cement. He looked like he wanted to protest, but went inside anyway.

I looked up at Greyson who was staring at me with bloodshot eyes. "What did you come here to say?" I asked my heartbreaking slightly seeing him up close. It had been less than twenty-four hours since I had seen him last, but he looked so different. Despite everything, his face lit up when he saw me like a blind man seeing the sun for the first time.

He looked shocked that I wasn't screaming and attempting to rip his heart out. There was a small part of me that wanted to, but I couldn't summon the energy to right now. It was easier to embrace the empty calm that seemed to be consuming me.

"Brittney I don't know what came over me" He stammered as if he was trying to remember what he had come here to say. "One minute she was barging into my room and then the next thing I remember is you walking in on us...".