Into the Fire

"Don't you dare touch me," I said, stepping back from him.

"Careful kitten, we wouldn't want to start things off on the wrong foot. I understand that you're strong-willed, which is exactly what I need in a mate, but you don't want to push me too far." He smiled, but this time there was no warmth to it.

"So, how exactly are you better than Mason?" I asked, frustrated. I had had enough of this toxic masculinity that all the guys in my life seemed to have.

"Well, for one thing, the only reason I'm keeping you here because it's the safest place for you. If I were to let you go home to your family, Mason would be there in an instant to drag you back to his home, leaving a trail of your friends and family bodies in his wake. I am the only one he fears enough to leave you alone at least for the time being," Fitz said cooly.

He sighed, running a hand through his tousled golden hair. "If you would please just come inside, I will explain everything to you."

I followed him inside because I could feel the truth behind his words. I was surprised to see an entirely modern interior that seemed at odds with the classic architecture of the exterior. "You have a lovely home," I said, needing to break the silence.

"Yes, it's been in my family for generations, but when my parents died, I redecorated the interior to something a little more current.

We sat down in a living room where a man set down a tray of finger sandwiches and cookies. "Before we get into this, would you like anything to drink?" Fitz asked.

"No, I'm ok thanks" I smiled shyly at the man.

"Ok then," Fitz said, waving the man away. "Ask me anything, and I will do my best to answer it."

"Ok, well, I guess the first thing is what Mason's deal is? I figured a little bit from Antoinette's diary, but the old french was kind of hard to translate," I said, pulling the diary out of my bag.

"Well, Mason was cursed by Catherine De Medici for killing you. She was a witch and cursed Mason to die a little bit every time the current reincarnation of you rejected him. This is the last chance that he gets before it's all over for him. That's why Mason will do anything to get you back" Fitz said, "And if he were to succeed in making you fall in love with him, he would have absolutely nothing to stop him from taking over the entire supernatural world."

"So, that's why you had Camille kidnap me?" I asked.

"I guess if you want to put it that way then yes, but I promise that as soon as I've found a way to deal with Mason you are free to go" Fitz smiled "Although if you would like to stay when this is all over that would make me very happy."

"If you thought that we were meant to be together, then why didn't you even show up when my father was trying to find a mate for me?" I asked.

"Well, to be honest, I didn't want anything to do with you at that point. My father was the one who was pressuring me to go and meet you, and I rebelled by not going. Then he passed on, and some of my best friends found their mates, and I realized that that was something that I wanted. If there's even a chance that we belong together, I think we owe it to ourselves to explore that" Fitz reached out his hand tentatively. I smiled, reaching the rest of his way to take his hand.

"You promise that after everything is over, I can leave if I want," I asked.

Fitz looked sad but nodded, "If that's what you want when everything is over, I will let you go." I smiled, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. "Until then though, you should treat this as your home. While it's only me and my beta and a couple of others who live here, members of the pack wander around. Just let them or me know if you need anything. I have a room prepared for you upstairs, and dinner will be served in a couple of hours if your hungry," Fitz said, leading me upstairs to a suite that had a balcony overlooking a lake behind the house.