Out Of The Frying Pan

I gasped as his lips touched mine, and suddenly I knew that we had done this several times before. I could see us embracing in every life that I'd lived before. I pulled back gasping for breath, my head spinning. "Are you alright?" Mason asked, worry covering his face.

"We've done this all before, haven't we?" I asked faintly.

"We have love," Mason gently stroked my face looking pleased. He pulled me closer to him, and I realized that everyone in the room was looking at us. "Ignore them," Mason whispered in my ear. I put my hands on his chest to steady myself. It was as if I was only partly here, and I was still somewhat in the past. It was as if I could feel every embrace we'd shared throughout the centuries. I pushed away from Mason's rage filling my whole being. I was not going to do this again. I wasn't going to let myself get sucked in like I had before with Bastien and Greyson, and I refused to do it again. I was stronger than whatever stupid trick Mason was trying to pull.

I pushed away from Mason, smiling sheepishly feigning shyness. "I can't," I whispered, letting all the hurt I'd felt over the past couple months flash across my face. I knew if I tried an outright lie to Mason, he would see right through it, but perhaps I could just let him think that I just needed more time and that he could eventually win me over. All I needed was to keep him away until morning, and then I could make my escape.

"Of course," Mason smiled. "I knew you'd need time to adjust."

"Thank you," I smiled, gently squeezing his arm before heading for the stairs. I caught Camille's eye and nodded, praying that she would notice and live up to her promise to help me get back home.

I paced upstairs, praying that Camille understood the look that I had given her, but the longer I waited, the less likely it seemed that she had understood. I mean I'd given her a brief look, how could I honestly expect anyone to interpret a singular meaning from that.

It was almost dawn when Camille woke me up. "Get up if you really want to leave; we have to go now" She snapped, startling me awake.

"I'm sorry," I replied groggily, "I didn't think that you were coming."

"Oh please," she rolled her eyes. "Even if you hadn't given me that pathetic puppy dog look as you were leaving, everyone saw how you recoiled from him."

"Oh, I thought I was able to play it cool," I grumbled,, pulling on a sweater and jeans.

"Seriously? If Mason was a fool and actually had believed you, he wouldn't have had asked someone to tail your movements. This is why was have to leave now, and you can't take anything with you except your passport and whatever will fit in your purse so that if we get caught, I can just say we're going shopping or something" Camille shoved my purse at me.

"You really think that would work?" I asked, grabbing Antoinette's diary.

"No, but I'd like to avoid leaving a trail of bodies behind us," Camille said wickedly.

"So, do you have a plan?" I asked, following Camille out.

"Of course. As powerful as Mason is, the only place he might not try to take you back from is with your people, so that's exactly where I'm going to take you." Camille said, leading me downstairs.

We hadn't even gotten out the door before we were stopped by a man at the front door. "Where are you two going?" he asked, smiling mischievously at Camille.

"You know typical girl stuff. Brittney needs some more normal clothes, and I miss doing the human girly things," Camille smiled vapidly.

"Of course, would you like me to call you a car?" he asked, still looking at Camille.