An unfortunate event

I spent the next several days hanging out around the house with Paxton, Truitt, and Shade. For the most part during the days the house was empty except for the four of us. I wanted to ask Bran what they did all day, but whenever I started broaching the subject he would abruptly change the subject. Since we were finally getting back to normal I decided not to push the issue for now.

I noticed that despite the pretense of normalcy that everyone tried to portray I noticed that everyone seemed to be on edge. With every strange sound, the boys seemed to jump anxiously.

Paxton tried to keep me preoccupied with movies or cooking, even looking up yoga tutorials on youtube for us to follow along with. Despite his best efforts I couldn't help but think about our birth father. He must have been the one to pay for the burial of our mother, but it didn't make sense. Our father skipped town before Bran and I were even born so obviously he didn't care about our mom or us, so why would he pay for a burial or chase me and Bran across the country. I also didn't understand why we would be in danger from him. Why track Bran and me down just to hurt either of us.

I laced up my shoelaces as I headed downstairs where Paxton, Truitt, and Shade were all sitting around the dining table. "Hey, where are you going?" Paxton scowled noticing my work out attire.

"I was going to go for a run around the property" I sighed "I only need ya'll with me if we're off the property. And if I recall the property is pretty big so I'll have plenty of room to run without breaking any rules".

I turned to head out the back door, but before I could make my escape Paxton said "Not so fast. I was gonna go for a run. Why don't you give me a second and I'll go with you".

"I don't think so," I said continuing out the door. I laughed letting my legs propel me forward enjoying my first small bit of freedom that I'd had in days. The air was hot and muggy causing sweat to bead at my brow and drip down my back. My shirt clung to my body as I sped up heading into the trees that lead to the back of the property.

"Hey there slowpoke," A deep voice said coming up behind me. Startled I stumbled tripping over an uprooted tree branch. I felt my ankle snap as I fell and cried out in pain falling to the ground.

"Jesus christ Britney. I really can't leave you alone can I" Paxton said kneeling down next to me.

"Actually I was doing just fine before you showed up" I groaned trying to push myself up to a sitting position. I hissed cradling a wrist which was starting to swell.

"Hang on" Paxton put a hand on my back. He gently examined my ankle and wrist frowning.

"These are either sprained or broken" Paxton frowned scooping me up in his arms. "By the way, you crossed the property line about fifteen minutes ago".

"Please put me down" I groaned my eyes tearing up from the pain.

"There's no way you're gonna walk the mile back to the house on your own" Paxton cocked an eyebrow at me.

"Please let me maintain what little dignity I have left" I pleaded and he gently lowered me onto the ground although he kept an arm wrapped around my waist although he supported almost all of my weight. I gritted my teeth together as we started to make our way back towards the house.

"Why did you follow me?" I asked breaking the silence. "I think I made it pretty clear I wanted to be alone".

Paxton shrugged "Who said I was following you. I told you that I wanted to go for a run". I rolled my eyes and he sighed. "I'm just trying to look out for you," Paxton said "And it's a good thing I did," he said pointedly looking at my injuries.