Gone Girl

I shivered walking along the back road as night fell. I wish I had had the foresight to grab a jacket before I'd left, but I had to get back and warn my dad and Brandon about what Bastien was planning on doing. Bastien was busy training his pack members to be ready for all-out war and my friends and family were clueless about what he had planned. If Bastien launched a surprise attack all of them would be dead. I suddenly wondered if my dream would have anything to do with that. Would Brandon blame me for Bastien's war if I was unable to get away and warn them and did that make him trying to kill me ok? I didn't know and I hoped that I would never have to find out.

All I needed was to get a ride to the city where I could get away Bastien and call home. If I could warn my dad and/ or Brandon then they would at least have a fighting chance against Bastiens pack of vicious Silver Bloods. If I thought it would have helped I would have tried to go to the police, but I didn't know how far Bastiens reach extended and I didn't want to risk challenging it.

I jogged lightly knowing that as soon as I was discovered missing I wouldn't have long and would have little chance of avoiding them if I hadn't managed to catch a ride by then. I'd been walking for over an hour and I still hadn't seen any cars, but I had made it past a group of houses that I assumed was where most of the Silver Blood pack members who didn't live up at the compound lived so at least I had that going for me.

When I heard wolves howling in the distance I started to panic. I could either chance staying on the road where I could get a ride, but they would be able to find me faster. On the other hand, if I decided to venture off the road I would have no chance of getting a ride. I decided that while it might give me a little more time to leave the road it would just put off the Silver Bloods finding me. My only chance at getting home was to find a ride.

I sped up my pace as I heard more wolves in the distance. I had known that Bastien might want to hunt me down by himself out of pride or possessiveness. Behind me, I heard the faint sound of a car coming down the road and I held out my thumb my heart beating frantically in my chest. I prayed that whoever was driving this car wasn't a member of the Silver Blood pack. The car slowed and pulled off to the side of the road.

The driver rolled down the window revealing a cute normal looking college guy. After being surrounded by Were's I'd forgotten what normal people looked like. "Hey are you all right?" he asked with a concerned look on his face. "It's really cold outside and you don't even have a jacket".

"I just need a ride and to call someone," I said hopefully while I prayed that he was just a good guy who wanted to help out a defenseless girl.

"Of course get in?" he said I hurried around the side of the car hopping in. "Where too?" he asked.

"As close as you can get me to an airport" I tried to give him a smile, but it fell flat.

"Look I don't want to pry, but are you in some sort of trouble?" he asked tentatively. "There are some weird people around these parts and you looked half terrified when I pulled over."

"I just need to get away from those people and back home. In all fairness they've noticed I'm gone by now and they'll be coming after me," I told him wanting to give him an out. As much as I wanted to escape I didn't want to put this nice guy in danger.

"I would be a pretty bad night in shining armor if I let the damsel fall back into the clutches of the beast," he laughed "But in all seriousness should I take you to the police."

"No these people are... influential," I said trying to find the right word to describe them that wasn't werewolf "I just need to get home. My family can protect me".

"Alright then," He shrugged off his jacket. "You should take this you're shivering." I thanked him as he cranked up the heat.

"I'm Cole by the way," He smiled at me.