Unflattering Truths

Before I left with Mason I scrawled out a note that Mason promised would be delivered to my house after we were gone. While I had asked them not to follow me I doubted my wishes would be heeded. I was nothing more than an object that had been stolen to them. Mason was the only one who had ever treated me like an actual person. From the moment I had met him, he'd been concerned with what I wanted and how I had felt. Even when he had come to my rescue in the forest he had given me a choice about whether or not I wanted to go with him. Greyson probably would have just thrown me over his shoulder like a brute. The more time passed the angrier I got at Greyson. He had betrayed me and hadn't even considered the consequences. Then he had the audacity to say that he could make it right and I had seriously considered giving him a second chance.

Plus while my friends and family had been supportive I knew that it was only a matter of time before they tried to push me back together with Greyson. He was my mate and that meant a lot to Weres and despite what he did he was still my mate. That was part of the reason I had decided to leave with Mason. It would be easier to get over him if I was somewhere far away from everyone who reminded me of him.

Mason gently put his cool hand over mine and squeezed lightly. I smiled hopefully up at him. I couldn't deny that I was drawn to Mason like a moth to the flame, but I still needed to figure out how much of that was real. I leaned against his shoulder feeling surprisingly at ease with him.

"I don't think I ever asked, but where are we going?" I yawned sleepily.

"I thought we could go to my country estate in the United Kingdom, but if you'd like to go elsewhere I can certainly arrange for that" He brushed a stray strand of hair out of my face. I blushed moving away from him slightly. While I was drawn to him I still wanted to be cautious.

"You know you never did tell me exactly why you're doing all this for me" I said eager to change the subject.

"Well it's a long story and not one with a particularly happy ending" Mason looked uncomfortably.

"Well it's a long flight?" I replied arching an eyebrow.

"It's not something I'm particularly proud of" he sighed. When I didn't relent he frowned leaning forward slightly. "The condensed version is that a very long time ago I met a girl that looked very much like you. I loved her and I hurt her. It is something that I regret doing every day. I just feel like now's my chance at redemption" He looked at me earnestly and my heart skipped a beat.

"So this is all because you loved another woman" I asked feeling slightly disappointed. "What was she like?".

"Her name was Antoinette and she was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen" he smiled.

"Antoinette?" I repeated startled.

"Yes she was the daughter of a prominent french nobleman and favorite of the Queen of France" Mason continued.

"That was supposed to be my name," I said quietly, but I knew Mason heard me. "If I had been born in the back and grown up with my dad my name would have been Antoinette. I wonder if she were related".

"Britney I think you know that wasn't what I meant when I said the two of you looked alike" Mason said gently.

"So you think I'm actually that girl reincarnated or something?" I asked leaning closer to him.

"Or something" he responded leaning closer so we were only a whisper apart. "It doesn't matter why. All that matters is that this time I'm going to do right by you". He leaned in the last little bit and his lips brushed gently against mine.

I pulled away after a moment "Mason I can't right now. After everything that happened with Greyson, I just need some time alone".

"Don't worry we have all the time in the world" Mason smiled happily

Greyson's P.O.V
"Damn it," I said slamming my fist into a wall.
"Oh can the melodramatics," Olivia said glaring at me. "If you had just kept it in your pants none of this would have happened".
We were in Pierre's house after he had told us about the note that had been delivered to his house from Brittney. She had been gone for nearly twenty-four hours when we'd found the note on the door. She had told us that she needed space and to not come looking for her. It was in her handwriting, but we had no idea whether or not she was forced to write the note under duress. She didn't say she was with Mason, but she didn't have to. I knew that weasel had found a way to make this work to his advantage.
"What the hell are you doing here" Liv snapped.
I looked up confused until I saw Danielle standing there looking awkward. "Get the hell out" I growled.
"Oh my god Greyson please don't" She rolled her eyes. "Look I made a mistake and I'm here to apologize. Can I please just talk to Brittney?".
"Are you seriously as dumb as you look?" Liv spat "Brittney's gone because of what you did! What the two of you did". She shot me a look.
Danielle paled "Oh god what have I done". She looked like she was going to be sick as she took off a thin necklace chain with a small charm from around her neck. "A British guy approached me and told me that this necklace would enable me to seduce any guy I wanted as long as he already wanted to sleep with me. I knew he was a vampire, but I was frustrated and I wanted to break you and Brittney up so I took it" She said the words rushing out of her mouth as if she couldn't stop them. "I just wanted you for myself and I didn't think it would really hurt anyone" she continued tears welling up in her eyes "I'm so sorry".
"What have you done?" Liv asked horrified