One

"Jingle bells! Jingle Bells! Jingle all the way! Oh what fun it is to ride on a one-horse open sleigh!" Lauren sang at the top of her lungs as they drove down the highway.

Lauren had just completed her last final for the fall semester which meant she was going home to holiday festivities and her girls.

For it being her first time away from home she did relatively okay. The hardest part about being away was being five hours away from Camila. The two planned many trips to get together over the weekends, but mom and work duties rang meaning Lauren was placed on the back burner. The only time they had the opportunity to see each other in the last few months was when Lauren came home for Thanksgiving.

Her heart ached after the first few cancellations. She knew Camila's main priority was to care and provide for Alexa, however, it was a hard adjustment to not receive the love and affection a typical college relationship would have. Their relationship remained rocky for a bit while the two tried to adjust to their new life style. Lauren continued to remind herself of the love she felt for the brown-eyed girl and she needed to accept the baggage Camila came with if she dreamed of their relationship lasting.

"Lauren, could you please stop singing that song for just a few minutes? I have a headache," Camila begged as she gripped tightly on the steering wheel and refocused her eyes on the car in front of her.

Lauren had been singing for over half of the five-hour trip and Camila could feel herself starting to lose it. When she originally agreed to pick Lauren up from school she figured they could rent a hotel somewhere in Gainesville and go back to Miami the next morning. She had the entire trip planned out until Paul's family had ruined it. She didn't understand why they had to leave tonight when they couldn't even check into their hotel until tomorrow night.

Since June, Camila's relationship with Paul had grown a lot. Although she still harbored some hatred, she tried to remain civil for the sake of their daughter. Towards the end of the summer he moved back to Miami with his fiancée, Morgan and their son, Brooks. For the first few months he continued with his old ways; saying he would pick up Alexa for the weekend and then never showed up. Camila learned to never tell Alexa her dad was coming unless both of his feet were standing on the welcome mat in front of their door. Then one weekend everything changed. Paul showed up on time every other weekend and started helping Camila pay for Alexa's things. The problem Camila faced now was with his parents.

"Sorry Camzi. I'm just really excited to be home," Lauren said in her high-pitched baby voice.

"No don't apologize. I shouldn't be ruining your happiness. I should be singing along with you."

"What's bothering you, baby?" Lauren softened up as she placed her hand on Camila's thigh. She gently moved her fingers against her denim jeans.

Lauren's emerald eyes locked onto the girl beside her. The glowing lights from outside helped brighten up the darkness in the car just enough for her to make out Camila's flawless face. Her lips began to tremble as she realized the exquisite girl beside her was all hers.

"It's Rose," Camila answered angrily as an image of Paul's mother appeared in her head. "How the hell do you tell a four-year-old child to their face that you're not taking them to Disney World for Christmas, yet you're taking everyone else!? How fucked up do you have to be to even say that?"

Camila continued letting the smoke blow of her ears. The entire situation upset her more than it upset Alexa. She hated how Paul's mother took her anger towards Camila out on an innocent preschooler. What upset her even more was Paul didn't even stand up for his daughter. He just abided by whatever came out of her mouth.