Eight

On the other side of the park, Dinah walked off with the ride with a giggling Normani on her back. The infectious laugh drove Dinah absolutely crazy. She pulled her bottom lip in, trying to stifle a laugh, but she couldn't stop it from coming out.

Her girlfriend was random. Completely random. She turned everything into a joyous, fun time no matter what obstacles were being thrown at her. It was one of the many traits Dinah loved about her. Who would've thought one person could break down the most sealed up person on the planet.

Their relationship came organically. The feelings Dinah had for the dark-skinned girl grew stronger as time went on. She was the only person Dinah trusted and the only one to know about her family problems such as her Uncle holding her mom practically hostage because he paid the rest of Dinah's college bill that wasn't covered by financial aid. Dinah tried to take some time off to save up for school and even thought about taking one or two classes at a community college, but her mom wasn't having it. She wanted Dinah to have everything she never got to experience.

Normani on the other hand grew up with a completely different lifestyle. For starters, both of her parents were in her life and both had occupations. Her father worked at a law firm and her mother worked as a neurologist at the local hospital. They were both very smart and very religious. What neither of them had were hearts.

Her parents never settled for anything less than perfect. They expected her to graduate at the top of her class and attend an Ivy League school where they wanted her to study a field that made well over six figures. Even though Normani had the brains for it, she wanted nothing to do with a STEM major. Her passion was in film making, but there was no way her parents would pay to send her to school for that type of things, so they met in the middle. Normani would be allow to attend the University of Florida if she seemed a degree in chemistry.

Normani was glad to be away. Their relationship was stronger when she was until her parents found out she was in a relationship with Dinah.

The two of them started their relationship in September, but spent most of the summer growing closer. Normani never gave them much of an explanation of what happened to John. She told them the distance was too much and they wanted to be single when they started school. They didn't find out until Normani came home for Labor Day weekend. She had shoved a love letter Dinah wrote her early on Friday into her bag and forgot about it until her parents called her on Tuesday asking about the letter they found on her floor.

They gave her two options. She either had to leave Dinah or move out. She went with the second option because love always wins.

"Are you cold?" Dinah asked concerned when she felt Normani shiver against her skin.

"I'm okay," Normani answered as she hopped off Dinah's back and sat down on the empty bench.

"Are you hungry?"

"I could go for some hot chocolate right about now."

Dinah nodded. "I'll be right back."

Dinah walked over to the line of people waiting for hot chocolate. Every so often she looked over at Normani who was either captured by colorful fireworks or making silly faces at her.

After a few minutes, Dinah was walking back to the bench with two hot chocolates in her hands and cookies in her coat pocket.

"You better enjoy these damn cookies," Dinah said as she handed Normani one of the hot chocolates. "I have crumbs all inside my pocket." She pulled the cookies out and tried to wipe as much as the crumbs as she could.

Normani laughed. "You know I could've helped you, so you didn't have to put the cookies in your pocket."

"I like waiting on my girl. You're the only one I'll do it for."