Chapter 13

Lena,

If you must know, this friend of mine might have asked me out on a date, but it did not go well. I tried to say no, but then I thought about how bored I have felt so I said yes. Our date did not end well. She noticed that I have feelings for somebody else. We had a nice talk about the situation, I took her home, and that was the end of that. Hopefully she's understanding enough not to be mad or not to hold a grudge.

How is the book going? I can understand why the book was so controversial during its time. As I have had nothing else to do it has been easy to get through most of the book. I am over halfway through it already. Next week I will be more distracted and I will not read as much because it will be the summer festival in town. Two of my brothers are even coming to visit to celebrate for the festival. This will be the first year in a long time where this many family members have been home all at once. My brothers and I already signed up for the basketball tournament in town. My mom is even planning a big family and friends barbeque at our house. It will be the highlight of my summer.

About your friend, Roxanne, she seems to think the same things our friends do. It sounds like she would fit in well with our group at Burmingham. Maybe you should think about how you always choose friends that say those things about me. I think it's a sign. It's gone too far now to be a coincidence.

- Jensen

Jensen,

If that is your way of trying to get me to say yes to going out with you it will not work. I have no idea why the friends I make all say the exact same thing about you, but you certainly know how to make an impression on someone. You made quite the impression on Roxanne and she has not even met you. She's now even asking for a picture of you so she can see what you look like. She makes it sound like I actually have a picture of you to show her.

Haven't you told me before that you've had a date end like that one? How many dates do you have that end that way? If you wanted a date to end well you should probably stop mentioning me at all.

I am enjoying Uncle Tom's Cabin. I am not as far as you are in the book, but I can understand why it was banned. I just got to chapter 12. George is on the run to Canada and he hopes his wife and child will join him. It's a tragedy how so many families were separated. I will keep you updated as I read so we can talk about it more once I've gotten farther into the book.

Your summer festival sounds fun. We don't have many festivals in my town. The highlight of my summer is usually spending all my free time at the beach. However, if you must know, the only thing I do when I go to the beach is read. It is peaceful if you know what time to go there, and I don't have to hear my parents arguing or my sister trying to start a fight with me. This summer though my highlight will likely be hanging out with Roxanne. She's awesome and we have a lot in common. She's determined to show me around the town, especially after I let it slip that I don't know much about what's in town. I'm not in town enough to know about it, but I suppose after this summer I will know all I need to know about it.

Have fun at your festival! I can't wait to hear about it.

- Lena