Chapter 4

The months of Winter and Spring rushed past like a train on a track.Adam and Erin got to know each other like the back of their hands.Each went over to the other's house several times a week.Adams parents met Erin,but he never got to meet the freshman' s.

Every time it was brought up,the boy quieted and kept walking or dismissed it with another conversation all together.One mysterious thing about him.

Every day Erin would meet with Ty,by his locker.It wouldn't seem like they were talking about homework.They seemed to have their own pow wow.Adam would try to get a look at it from all angles,but the locker would be closed right as he got into a good postion.Then the two would walk away like they hadn't spoke two seconds before.Second mysterious thing.

Every time they split to go their separate ways after school,Erin would turn into a dark alley.The week before,Adam decided to follow right behind him carefully.As he turned into the corner afyet the freshman,he was now nowhere to be seen.

On top of that,the nightmares and blackouts seemed to happen more frequently each night,until it was more like insomnia.Then he would fall asleep in class,one day he recalled having a nightmare in class and yelling as he woke up.Mr.Universe had asked him if he was all right and of course he lied saying he was okay.

The bullying had also calmed down,but he felt like that was the least of his problems.

_____________

One sunny day,on the last week of school before meeting with Erin,Mr.Universe called him down to the front desk while everyone was leaving for last period.He asked him such a peculiar question....

"Would you like to go to the the town theatre after school on the last day?It's my sister who's performing,and I just happened to have an extra ticket!"He said a warm smile on his face.

Adam nodded."Of course."They had gotten to know each other more as the school year progressed,and they could be considered "friends" at this point.

Jason's eyes looked at him and smiled but, looked down to his students chest and took notice of something very.....shiny.

"That's a nice necklace you got there.Where did you get it?"

Adam stared at the young teacher.He didn't know the amulet had been peeking out his shirt.

"Why do you want to know?"

"It just looks magical that's all."

Adam looked down hesitantly. He didn't want anyone really knowing he was an orphan.He was proud of his foster parents but,what if this teacher told others,and kids heard.Then he would be the talk of the school.He decided he should be able to trust this teacher....what could go wrong?

"It was given to me by my real parents."

"Real Parents?You were orphaned?...."Mr.Universe looked down.Something made his voice tremble.

"Yes.After the event 16 years ago.This is the only thing I have of my parents left."

Mr.Universe's eyes stared into the table.He looked lost.

"I see."

Silence.

Adam didn't want to pry of why the young man felt lost of this saddening topic.But he was curious.I felt like he had to ask.

"Why does this sadden you?Have you never had an orphaned student before?"

The teacher shook his head.

"It's not that....Its just-....So many people lost their families that day...."

Suddenly,his teacher was no longer there,in front of him.There was darkeness.Then he heard crying,a baby crying.There was a loud noise and suddenly there was a baby in someone's arms.From the way they were breathing,it sounded like a girl and like she was running.There were more explosions and crying and he just couldn't stop it.It was all too fast..too fast-