[ 15 ] The Pure Essence of Jay's Football Skills

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #222 in Chick Lit

There's a sneak peek at chapter 16 up on the site now! It's linked on my profile!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

Something Real

[ Chapter 15 ] The Pure Essence of Jay's Football Skills

....................................................................

If someone had asked me a month ago, I would have blatantly said I'd never be caught dead missing Hayden Pennington.

Things had sure changed since that first day.

"Elias wanted us to tell Jay that he was sorry for not being able to make it." My mother was nervously playing with the strap on her purse as she spoke.

Two weeks had gone by since the infamous brunch, meaning the last leg of Jay's tryouts would take place today. Elias had skipped out on all the fun last minute without much of an explanation.

"I thought that he took the day off," I sighed, glancing out the window of the car periodically. "It's the last of Jay's tryouts."

"And we already know that he'll make it, Scarlett," she scolded. "Jay's the best one on the team."

"All the more reason to show up," I mumbled.

Hayden had left me a note a few days ago, one that I didn't find until he was long gone from the Pennington mansion, and from Beverly Hills for that matter. It detailed he and Jay's plans to spend time with their mother in San Francisco until Jay's tryouts. This, left me quite alone for the entirety of our supposed three day weekend.

Elias and my mother were far more boring than I had first imagined, and this time, I didn't have Hayden, or Wren, to keep me company.

"Have you talked with either of the boys," my mother narrowed her eyes in my direction. "Hayden and Jay have neglected to call home."

"I don't even have Jay's number," I laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

"So you have talked with Hayden, then." My  mother assumed, nodding her head along with her words. "What did he say?"

"I haven't spoken to him since before he left," I said. "I didn't even know they were going anywhere until they were already gone."

The silence in the car slowly consumed us, leaving either of us to our own thoughts as the car sped onward and towards the stadium.

Elias had arranged for a private plane to fly us all over to San Francisco this morning. But with Elias now excluded from our plans for the rest of the day, it was now just my mother and I.

It had been the most awkward morning of my life.

"Zane should be here," my mother spoke up, brushing past our last topic. "You haven't talked about him for a while."

I shook my head, sitting up in my seat as I caught sight of the stadium. I was dying to see Hayden at this point.

Even Wren would be a welcomed presence.

"There hasn't been anything to talk about."

The car pulled up right along the edge of the sidewalk leading up to the stadium, and I jumped out the second the car stopped running.