[ 18 ] Admit It, You Want Me

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #229 in Chick Lit

There will be a sneak peek at chapter 18 up on the site on Friday - along with *hopefully* new chapters of Tides and I Liked You Better On YouTube.

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

Something Real

[ Chapter 18 ] Admit It, You Want Me

....................................................................

I'd never been to New York before, but I'd had an image in my mind of what it would be like. Ironically, it was nothing like how I'd imagined it would be.

"You seem tense." Zane noted, his eyes following ever bag that floated by on the luggage retrieval belt.

"I'll get over it," I reassured.

My mind was wandering farther and farther away from where it was supposed to be at a time like this. After the lovely few days Zane had planned out for us, I should have been on cloud nine.

But luckily enough for me, Hayden had been looming over my mind for the last few days. So much so, that I couldn't shake that sinking feeling that continued to pool in the pit of my stomach.

"What could possibly have you so worked up?" Zane joked as he finally turned to look at me. "We just got back from New York."

"And maybe that's problem." I shot back, silently scolding myself for my attitude. "I'm sorry, really. It's just my mom and the whole family will be on wedding overdrive for the next few weeks. I'm not so sure I'm ready to jump right back into things."

"Then don't," Zane paused as he grabbed onto my hand. "Your parents hired a wedding planner for a reason, you're probably not needed back home at all. You can even stay with me at the hotel for a few more days."

I pursed my lips together in thought. "I don't know."

"Well, either way, the offer is on the table. Whenever you need it," he smiled back at me.

"I don't think that's necessary," Hayden interjected.

I turned around, catching sight of Hayden the second that I did. I could feel Zane's hand stiffen against my own there after.

"Hayden," Zane mused. "We missed you in New York."

Hayden cocked his head to the side, the man then crossing his arms over his chest. "Something tells me you didn't even notice my absence."

"What are you doing here?" I sighed.

"I drove here with you last week," he reminded snidely. "I came to pick you up. It'd be an awful shame if you had to find your own way home."

"She doesn't need a ride." Zane shook his head. "I'll take her home."

"Oh, good. Let's all waste gas and good mileage driving to the same place all the way across town," Hayden smirked. "This one's smart, Blaine. I know exactly what attracted you to him."

"You don't need to be rude, Hayden," I said. "I'll drive with you."

"No." Zane protested as he tightened his grip on my hand. "She's drive with me. We can go to lunch and spend the afternoon together."

"Sorry, pal," Hayden chuckled. "Angel asked specifically that I drive Scarlett home. She wants to have a family meeting, or whatever."

Zane rolled his eyes at our stupid exchange, finally deciding to drop my hand. Quickly, he pulled my bag off the edge of the luggage belt, quietly telling me he'll wait by himself for his own bag.