[ 29 ] It's Not Like That At All, Trust Me

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two days - #25 in Chick Lit and we hit 27k!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

Something Real

[ Chapter 29 ] It's Not Like That At All, Trust Me

....................................................................

Knowing I hadn't seen my father in a upwards of six months was a strange enough thought on it's own. But knowing he was crashing my mother's wedding, was the far more pressing matter.

"I know. But-"

"No dad," I took in a deep breath. "Now isn't the time."

He looked taken aback, though I'm sure even he knew he shouldn't be. He and my mother had broken things off years ago, and I could have sworn that they were happier apart than they had ever been together.

Something wasn't right.

"Scarlett," he sighed, motioning that we step off to the side. "Can we talk about this for a second?"

"No." I stood my ground. "This is one thing we can't just sit down and discuss. Mom has moved on, and she's getting married, here, in less than three days. You can't just barge in here and-"

"Scar," Hayden interrupted, placing an arm around my waist protectively. "Who's this?"

My father held out his hand to Hayden, waiting for him to take the small gesture.

Hayden merely stood there, not wanting to engage in anything further until he got to the bottom of this. "Is this man bothering you?"

"No, son," he laughed off Hayden's remark. "I'm Simon. Simon Cavalry. Scarlett's father?"

Hayden's eyes nearly popped out of his head at the realization.

"I'm so sorry, sir. I didn't know..." Hayden trailed off, pulling his arm away from me before shaking my father's hand.

"I never thought that Scarlett would find such a stand-up boyfriend," my father teased. "Her last few haven't been very outspoken. This is a refreshing change."

"No," Hayden and I jumped into the conversation in synch.

I gave Hayden a look, "he's, mom's fiancé's son. Hayden Pennington."

My father's face twisted up in confusion as he looked back and forth between us, the man unable to come up with a just conclusion as to what he had just seen before him.

Now I was really regretting getting involved with Hayden.

"It's nice to meet you sir. You've raised an amazing daughter," Hayden added.

"Her mother did most of the grunt work. But thank you, Hayden. My apologies for mistaking you for something you're not." He said, turning his attention to me. "If I could steal you for a second? Maybe allow you to change? I've booked a room-"

"What?" I hissed. "Dad-"

"No, honey. It's fine. We'll need the time to talk, anyhow. I'll text you the room number and you can just, come find me when you can."

He pressed a quick kiss to my forehead before striding off in the direction of the elevators.

I still couldn't seem to catch my breathe, but luckily enough for me, Hayden was right by my side.