[ 20 ] Hot and Bothered

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #174 in Chick Lit

Tides and I Liked You Better on YouTube will be updated on Wednesday!

There's already a sneak peek up on the site!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

Something Real

[ Chapter 20 ] Hot and Bothered

....................................................................

As I sat, listening to my mother and Elias drone on and on about their wedding, my mind fell back to my morning with Zane.

"The flowers we've picked out are tulips," my mother pointed to the single piece of paper on the table. "Scarlett, you will be carrying a bouquet of them, and the boys will each have one in their lapel."

Despite my mother's constant tries, I couldn't pull my thoughts away from Zane. Our morning together had been nothing if not wonderful, and yet, when the moment came for our infamous front door moment, he hesitated.

"I had a nice time today," Zane smiled. He gently took hold of my right hand, giving it a loving squeeze before leaning in and pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"Me too," I sighed.

I nodded to myself before taking a step closer to him, wrapping my arms around his shoulders and pulling him down towards me. Quickly, I closed the distance between us, pressing my lips against his.

He smiled into the kiss, placing his hands on either side of my waist. The softness of his lips left me feeling dizzy, and the way he pulled me closer helped me understand just how much he wanted this.

It was sweet, but it was never passionate.

"That was unexpected," Zane whispered against my lips.

I nodded back, pulling my arms down from around his shoulders. "It was long overdue."

Zane kissed my forehead before taking a step back, turning to walk down the stairs there after.

"I'll call you when I get off work tonight," he called over his shoulder, winking at me as he did. "I can't wait to see you again, Scar."

"Me too, Zane." I whispered as he'd walked back to his car. "Me too."

I had made the first move, and though usually I would have been fine with it, the question still remained as to why Zane hadn't kissed me first.

There was a simplicity about our relationship that only grew by the day, and the lack of spark between us was starting to drive me crazy.

"We've also changed our wedding colors to pink and green, so Scarlett, you'll have to try on the new dress this weekend."

"Okay," I nodded back to her.

Slumming back in my chair, I let my head rest against the top of the uncomfortable wood. The table stretched out to either end of the dinning room, and it was far too big for our family of five. But my mother had insisted on having our little 'family meeting' in this particular room.

One downside being that Hayden had seated himself right next to me once again; the other being that Wren had inserted herself into the family meeting, as well.