[ 27 ] Are You Drunk?

THIS HAS NOT YET BEEN EDITED!

Sorry this chapter took so long!!
Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #60 in Chick Lit and we hit 21k! That's over 6k reads in the last week!!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

Something Real

[ Chapter 27 ] Are You Drunk?

*Taking place while Hayden spent his night with Axel and Eddy*

....................................................................

Usually, I hated being on this side of town; but tonight, knowing Hayden would have a romantic picnic set up for us on the beach, I didn't mind the extra hour drive.

"Order for Scarlett?" The hostess asked me once again. I smiled politely, holding out my card for her to scan. "Two sandwiches with French fries and the lava cake for dessert?"

"Yes," I nodded.

The awkwardness loomed over us as she continued to finish bagging up our order and charging the card. She gave me a panicked smile after nearly dropping the packets of ketchup Hayden had insisted I ask for.

Why he wanted ketchup on turkey sandwiches was beyond me.

"Have anything exciting planned for this evening?" She continued in an attempt to make conversation.

"Just dinner with a friend," I shook my head. "Nothing too special."

"Well, either way, it sounds a lot more fun than the night we're having," she teased, gesturing back towards the crowded sports bar. "Some company from New York has it's employee's staying at the resort down the street. They apparently can't find any other restaurant to let loose in on this side of town."

"I can imagine," I gawked as the bartender spilt beer across the bar. This place was a mess. "Is it the Reynolds' Resort? I know the owner."

"You're a lucky girl," she commented as she finally handed over my things. "I hear he's the most eligible bachelor on the east coast. Or any coast for that matter."

"Yeah," I laughed back at her. "Something like that."

"Have a good night," she waved me off before scurrying back towards the bar. They needed all the help they could get back there.

I turned, keeping my eyes trained in on the receipt as I tried to figure the total for myself. For the life of me I couldn't add up the numbers.

"Woah," a familiar gruff voice pulled me out of my daze. Zane smiled at the sight of me, placing a hand on either of my shoulders to steady me. "What are you doing here, Scarlett?"

"Picking up dinner," I said. "Hayden's taking some pictures of the beach and got hungry. I'm just here to pick the up food."

"Oh," Zane nodded. "I was half hoping you were stopping by the hotel to surprise me."

I couldn't ignore the guilt that flooded over me with his words.

"Zane-"

"No. I was kidding, really. Don't worry about it."

"I know we haven't seen a lot of each other lately," I tried. "But it's just been hectic with the wedding next week..."

"You're busy, I get it," Zane sighed, running a hand through his hair uncomfortably. "I just thought I was a bigger priority to you than Hayden, that's all."