Mother

She saw him before he left the building that early morning. Vance presumably had locked the door, leading to the sitting room, this time and was on his way home. He waved once more to her before dashing off and out of her home. Truly, she was glad to see that not all of the flies were flies. Not only did she meet someone new in the crowd of pink but she also entered one of the rooms, a room that had soft curtains and a secret that couldn't be found. When she saw Chance next, she would have to explain the exciting news to him. Thus, after entering her room, she went straight to bed and was surprisingly able to fall asleep despite the events that happened previously.

By the time she awoke, it was nine in the morning. When she finished with her morning routine, she came out of the bathroom wearing a simple purple long-sleeve shirt with a black mini-skirt and black tights. Black flats covered her feet, and her simple white ribbon rested on the right side of her head.

Her mother never announced when she would visit for their fifteen minute conversation, but generally it occurred in the afternoon. Thus, she decided to get her breakfast and head back to her room after she finished eating. Following this plan, Dez was soon sitting at her blue desk and working on a new sketch. Personally, she wanted to draw the sitting room but knew that was a foolish idea. If someone were to find a drawing of a secured room in her desk, she would face unimaginable consequences. Instead, she would keep the memory of the room close to her. Hopefully, that wouldn't be the only locked room she ventured into. Maybe Vance would accidentally leave another room open for her to explore.

Thus, rather than draw the sitting room, Dez began a sketch of a snow covered landscape. It was obviously quite different from the sitting room, but it was a peaceful thing to draw. Funny, though, that snow was supposedly the same color as the white doors. Unlike the doors, snow wasn't restricting, and one could presumably see beyond it. Whereas the doors were confining, the snow was liberating. At least, she thought it to be. She could imagine herself running through the snow and catching snowflakes on her tongue. There was a similarity between the doors and snow, though, they both hid something. The doors held secrets behind them, and the snow contained secrets beneath. Still, she thought the snow to be more pleasant than the doors.

A knock on her door caused her to look at the time rather than the door itself. She knew it was a fly; she could see the pink attire out of the corner of her eye. Likewise, it wasn't Vance. This fly's eyes were clouded like the rest, and their remark about her birthday was hollow. Not paying them much attention, she saw that it was now two in the afternoon. Personally, she didn't think that she had spent that much time on her drawing.

Getting up from her seat, she placed the drawing in the drawer under the topmost right one. Bearing an indifferent expression, she followed the pink fly out of her room. Both went down the hall, and the buzz of the other flies was loud. They kept congratulating her on turning a year older. To her ears it sounded like pure noise that had no purpose. What was their gain if their words held no meaning? Were they trying to win some favors with her if that was the case, why? Maybe it had something to do with that hidden knowledge of theirs'. It honestly didn't make any sense to her.

When they at last arrived at the dining hall, the fly guided her into the eating area where all the flies usually sat. Currently, there were none sitting there; it was empty like last night. The difference being that there was no longer a pale blue light, rather all the lights were turned on, and it was bright like usual. Why her mother had her sit in the dining hall was beyond her. Personally, she wanted to sit in the kitchen and overlook the space.