Trapped

Pulling at the sink stopper, Dez finally managed to wrench it from its place in the sink. It wasn't supposed to come out, since it was built in, but she managed to get it out after some effort. She couldn't think of any other place that wouldn't cause suspicion. Hopefully, all the sinks in the building were built the same; otherwise her hiding place might not work. With the stopper out, she sat it on the white sink counter, while pulling a green hair ribbon from her left pocket. It was her least favorite, and so she was fine with putting it down the sink.

Picking the stopper back up, she tied the ribbon tightly around the end of the stopper. Once that was accomplished, she wrapped the other side of the ribbon securely around the key, which she took out of her right skirt pocket. Carefully, she placed the stopper with the key back in the sink. Somehow, she managed to make it look like it hadn't been tampered with. With her task completed, she grabbed her pajamas and headed back in, so that she could get a relaxing shower. When she finished, she put on her undergarments and purple pajama set before brushing her teeth. Completing this, she went into her bedroom and hopped into bed.

When she awoke, she was surprised to find no one in her room. It was silent, except for hearing the occasional fly buzzing by outside her door. After sitting up in her bed, she rubbed her eyes and stared over at the door. Still nothing sounded odd on the other side. Maybe Vance had the day off and hadn't checked the keys yet. Somehow she doubted that.

Getting out of bed, she headed into the bathroom to proceed with her morning routine. Looking in the mirror, her hair was a bit disheveled. This was a typical occurrence in the morning, though. Grabbing her pink brush, she brought it through her hair strands and made herself look somewhat presentable. Halfway through her brushing, she heard her door open. Her grey eyes examined who it was by peering at the reflection in the mirror. Noting the grey eye glasses, Dez immediately recognized the person as her mother.

Dark grey pants covered her mother's legs, and a jacket matched in color. A dress shirt in the hue of white was underneath the jacket. She pushed her glasses up before spotting Dez in front of the bathroom mirror. Her mother's expression was unreadable, as her hands rested in her pants pockets.

"Deziree, did you know that a key to one of the white doors went missing?"

"No, I didn't," she replied, continuing to brush her hair.

"Well, isn't that interesting. I had a worker report to me that they had lost a key, but they never removed it from the key ring. They mentioned that they had spoken to you last night and were the last to see the key."

"Where is the worker?"

"Actually, they're right behind me. Mr. Disson, can you show my daughter the key ring again?"

By now, Dez had turned around in order to look directly at them. Vance came into the room and merely nodded at her mother's request. At the moment he had the mask back on his face, while the hat sat on his head. She could only see his blue eyes, but she knew that he despised the mask. Even with it on, she could tell that he wasn't a fly. His left hand pulled out the key ring, holding it out for Dez to see. Staring at it, she kept her neutral expression before looking at her mother.