Cousin

"Don't give me that face, Samantha. You know that our current sample fits the requirements. We must proceed, since Amoena wants results sooner rather than later. We've been at this for years, and she is becoming impatient. Moreover, I'm becoming impatient. One can only wait for so long."

"Yes, but Ms. Waters, the sample is...well..."

"Honestly, I don't understand your hesitation, Samantha. You've never had this problem before with cases like this. If my memory serves me right, you volunteer usually for these. So, why are you stalling? Don't tell me that you've grown soft."

"No, it's just that..."

"It's what? Let me guess, in the short time that our sample has been down here, you've grown fond of them. Is that the reason?"

"I...yes, it is, Ms. Waters."

"Tch, of course it is. First, Amoena denies that she developed feelings for our prime subject, and now you have grown attached to your subject. I can't go against Amoena, but I'm thoroughly disappointed in you, Samantha."

"I apologize, but I can't carry through with this one."

"I'm not permitting such an excuse. Think of it this way, you'll be doing them a service. Either they will be reborn with a quality that is desired by many, or they will die in the cause of finding out the reason behind why those two were accepted. They are performing a service to the rest of human beings. Now, wouldn't you like to give them that honor rather than someone else?"

"I suppose that's one way of looking at the situation, but..."

"Well, would you like to join them, Samantha? You can just as easily lie beside them and help in that way. You are one of my best scientists, but you are still replaceable. Do keep that in mind, as you make your decision."

"What!? Ms. Waters, you wouldn't actually consider doing that? I've worked my way up to this position."

"Have you now? Then why are you displaying such resistance to performing the task presented before you? If they die, you can always find another or are you worried because of their relation to me?"

"I am concerned. They're your cousin after all. You say that I can always find another, but you can't. Your cousin might very well not make it through this. Besides, I don't want to find another."

"How touching, but let me ask you in a different way. Like you mentioned, you've reached this position through hard work that some of the other employees here aren't willing to give. You've went the extra mile and taken all the cases that concern delicate subjects rather than the typical ones. Are you willing to throw that all away because of this one subject? Tell me, Samantha, which is more important to you? This attraction you have developed towards my cousin, who might not even reciprocate your feelings or your career, which you have built through endless trials?"

Silence erupted throughout the room, as Ms. Waters and the fly just stared at each other. The fly twiddled their thumbs, seeming to think of something to say. Ms. Waters, on the other hand, tapped her left foot impatiently. This tapping erased the silence but made the atmosphere only increase in gravity. Chance and Dez watched from behind the air vent, both attempting to figure out who Ms. Waters's cousin was. Moreover, both were shocked by the possibility that this cousin could die as a result of the exams.