Near a Secret

When she thought the guards would permanently stay in front of the room, they finally returned to their original posts, wherever those were. After her encounter with Riva, Dez waited two weeks until suspicion was lost. Her mother and the guards decided that the key had somehow fallen off the key ring. In that span of time, though, Dez hadn't seen Vance at all. She figured her mother must've moved him to another location in her house. Either that or her mother fired him. Hopefully, he received the better of the two options.

Leaning back in her desk chair, she went over the camera layout in the hall just outside her room. The paper, detailing the cameras' positions, was long gone, since she had destroyed it the day after Chance had given it to her. Fingers tapping against the blue surface of the desk, she spoke the positions quietly out loud. One could only hear her if they were right next to her.

Once satisfied with her memory of the security cameras, she pushed the desk chair back and stood up before setting the chair back in its usual position. Her grey eyes stared up at the clock. It was ten-thirty in the evening. Chance hadn't visited her, but the guards had only returned to their previous posts yesterday. He was probably just waiting until a few more days passed.

It was better this way, since she was planning on entering the room tonight. She knew it would be better to wait another day or two, but in her mind she had waited long enough. This would be a risk-filled move but so was stealing the key. Risk would always exist in her quest to explore her home, and she would probably encounter countless obstacles. Thus, she would just have to do her best to avoid them.

Entering her bathroom, she pulled out the sink stopper and untied the key from the bottom. It was rather disgusting to touch, but she rinsed her hands and the key off after putting the stopper back in place. With the key in hand, she exited the bathroom and took a deep breath before exhaling. She was anxious to return to the mysterious room, which was bound to hold something secret. Besides, why would her mother want to hide a room with such simplicity from her?

Holding onto the key tightly in her right hand, she went over to her door but froze when it opened. Her breath got caught in her throat, as she waited to see who was entering. A white button-up shirt and black pants came into view. Noticing the attire, she instantly let out her breath and relaxed, though, she was surprised to see the individual.

Chance closed the door behind him and met Dez's grey gaze. There wasn't a grin gracing his lips, but rather his visible blue eye depicted worry and frustration. Going over to her bed, he sat down and patted the space next to him. Hesitantly, she took a few steps toward where he was sitting before continuing to walk the brief distance. Taking a seat of her own, she rested her hands on her lap. The key remained in her right hand, and her thumb rubbed gently across it, as though she was continually checking that it was still in her grasp.

"You're mad, aren't you?" Dez questioned, keeping her eyes off her friend.

"Probably, you did leave me in the dark after all. I was concerned that they would catch you, or something would go terribly wrong. I couldn't leave my room, since more guards had been placed around it. They even searched my room as well. Luckily, they still avoided my bear with the key in it. It was just awful sitting on my bed, not knowing really anything about what was occurring outside my door. All I knew was that you acted without telling me. Thus, I couldn't check up on you until the security had returned to normal."