A Curious Test

At ten in the morning, Dez was awoken by someone calling her name. For a moment she had thought it was Chance, but she realized that he had left soon after their discussion. Glad that she didn't mumble his name, she opened her grey orbs to be met with the pink attire of a fly. It buzzed her name annoyingly to the point where she rolled over onto her other side. She thought this was sufficient enough to get the fly to go away. Instead, she felt herself being pulled out of bed.

Groaning in resistance, she grabbed the sheets and tried to keep her form on the comfortable surface. She failed at this task, and soon her feet met the ground. Inwardly sighing, she turned and faced the pesky insect. Her neutral countenance stared at the fly, waiting to see what they wanted. They buzzed in their obnoxious manner before they left the room. Their message was clear: get dressed and wait.

Thus, she changed out of her simple lavender pajama set and into some day clothes. These consisted of her plain black dress, which flared out at the bottom, and her black tights. Her white ribbon was tied onto several strands of hair on the right side of her head. Covering her feet were simple black slippers. With her outfit on, she sat upon her bed and waited.

This was most likely for the test that her mother and Keri mentioned. If this was indeed the case, she would finally get to see the appearance of this fly. Then again, another one of the flies could always substitute for her. Currently, though, Dez was trying to determine whether she could consider Keri a fly. She had only heard her voice; she hadn't actually seen her. Of course, Dez knew she was a worker, but did she wear the pink attire of a fly? It would truly be interesting to see.

Furthermore, Chance may very well be waiting like her at this very moment. If they were the "ones", presumably they would receive the same tests, so that they could be tested for similar "factors". What those factors were, she didn't know. Dez couldn't figure out what she shared with Chance. They did live in the same house, but that was all she could think of. Appearance wise, their eye colors were different as was their hair. Could it be that the two of them shared a similar "factor" on the inside? Such a thought sent a chill up Dez's spine. She hoped that none of these tests would be invasive. Would her mother really put her through such an exam, though?

Breaking out of her thoughts due to the door opening, Dez was surprised to see her mother. Sporting one of her usual grey suits, she pushed up her grey glasses, as she wore her typical analytical expression. A white blouse with frills was underneath her grey jacket, adding even more elegance to her appearance.

"Deziree, I will need you in my office today. You won't need to worry about breakfast, since a tray for you is in my office."

Only giving her mother a simple nod, she stood up and exited her room, while her mother closed the door behind them. Flies moved out of the way for her mother, as they passed down the hall towards the office. Dez found the flies' actions and expressions intriguing. Instead of the usual hate and fear, they held admiration. Their various colored eyes gleamed under the old factory pendant lights. Such a scene created no equal feelings in Dez. Rather, her fascination turned into dread. She no longer found them staring at her mother but at her. All of their eyes seemed to be like the bright glow of a flashlight in the dead of night. It was as though she was already being examined, as greed flickered into their eyes.

Her mother paid no mind to their changing stares. To her they only beamed with joy at seeing her presence. They were her loyal followers, enjoying their mysterious work, while buzzing in delight at the thought of pleasing their leader. Having to walk among the infatuated insects began to sicken and disturb Dez. She didn't want to remain in the company of the flies for much longer, for she couldn't ignore them like usual. All of them were too engrossed with her mother and too observant of her.