A Key for Curiosity

It had been a few days since her birthday and Dez hadn't discovered any clues as to what the key looked like. She couldn't very well go up to one of the flies and ask for the key directly. Instead, she would walk slower than usual when traveling through the hall. That way if one should open the door to the sitting room, she could catch sight of the key. This occurred on one occasion. One of the flies began to unlock the door to the sitting room, but another fly had bumped into her. The unexpected contact sent her to the ground, and she lost her opportunity to see the key. In the end the fly that ran into her just helped her up and continued on their way.

For the first time, she very much disliked an individual. Her gaze remained expressionless, but behind that illusion she was glaring daggers at them. They had obstructed her view of the key and made her search last longer. She wanted passage into that room sooner rather than later.

At the end of the second day, she grew rather frustrated and headed to the kitchen for a late night snack. Chance hadn't come that evening, and so she decided to sit in the empty metal kitchen. Her feet swung back and forth, while she sat on the cushioned stool. She poked the piece of cake left over from her birthday with her metal fork. Just the cake and the pale blue emergency light added color to the surrounding scenery, for she wore a plain black shirt and black skirt. Black slippers covered her feet, and her short black hair hung loosely around her face.

Lazily, she placed a piece of cake in her mouth, as she watched the pale blue light. The cake still tasted wonderful, but it didn't dull her desires to figure out the appearance of the key. Granted, she could always look for a different key and enter a different room. That, however, would nullify the plans Chance wrote out for her or rather add more to them. This would mean more memorization for her. Likewise, she wanted to figure out the secret to that room first before anymore questions arose.

Grey eyes seeming almost lifeless, since most of her energy was focused on her thoughts, she turned her gaze to the overall space of the dining hall. She remained this way for a bit, as she ate her cake. It wasn't until her eyes caught hold of something familiar in the room. To say she was surprised would be an understatement.

Now sitting at one of the tables, she noticed a familiar auburn haired male. Peering over at the clock in the room, she saw that it was ten-thirty in the night. He should've left an hour and a half ago, yet there he was sitting on one of the metal benches. His head was resting in his arms, which were on the tabletop. She couldn't see his face, but she could tell that it was him due to the pink hat and mask lying nearby on the table. If it were a fly, they would've kept the pieces of attire on.

She pondered how long he had been sitting there; she never even noticed him entering the room. When did he open the door, and why had she not heard it? Was she just that lost in her own thoughts, or had he actually been there the whole time? Figuring it best not to think too hard on the matter, she debated on whether she should go over to him and see if he were truly sleeping.

Eating another bite of cake, she decided that now was her chance to ask about the key. Thus, she went to move out of her chair, but his head slowly lifted up from his arms. She stopped her movement, as his blue eyes caught her grey ones. A grin graced his lips, as he waved tiredly at her. Returning the gesture, she stayed in her chair, since she noticed he was getting up from his seat. Coming over to her, he picked up the mask and hat but didn't put them on.