Aid

Chance was hoping she wouldn't utter that singular word, yet she did. In all the years he had known her, she never once asked about how he managed to visit her. She only understood that he wasn't supposed to be out of his room. Moreover, she knew that he lived behind one of the white doors. He could tell that she was curious about his travels to her room, but she never voiced that curiosity. Even still, she didn't ask that question. Instead she merely glanced at him with her grey eyes, which spoke for her.

He desired to help her, but part of him still feared the consequences. Not for himself but for Dez. If her mother ever discovered what she was planning, there would be little room for him to do anything against the woman. The only thing he could think of at the moment would be Dez getting placed in a more secure room, but that most likely would only be the beginning of her punishment.

Sadly, he couldn't dissuade her from the path she had chosen. He could try, but he knew it would end in failure. Then again, maybe it wouldn't; maybe he was just being selfish. Her grey eyes held that spark to them, and he didn't want that fire to die out. It had been so long since he had last seen it. Moreover, could he really extinguish something so bright? No, he couldn't. Despite her overall face giving no hint to her emotions, it was like he was seeing her alive for the first time. She wanted to explore the rest of her house; she was tired of being confined like a caged animal. In truth this was just the first step to getting to see the outside world.

"You're not going to let me get out of this, are you?"

"No, I want your help."

"What did you want to know first?"

"I'm sure you already know, but how do you get out of your room? It's locked, isn't it?"

"Yes, as you know all the white doors are locked, however, they can be opened by a key on both sides with the exception of a few doors. I managed to steal the key to my room. Of course upon doing so, my person and room were searched, but they never found it obviously. Personally, I'm still surprised that they never did. Granted, they probably suspected that a child would think to hide it in the most obvious of places like under the bed or in their dresser underneath their clothes.

"I knew better than to hide something so valuable in an easily suspected place. At one point I was tempted to keep my fork, without the workers seeing, and loosen one of the tiles in my room, but I figured it would take too long. Moreover, if one of them stepped on it, they would notice the difference. Thus, I made use of the small hole in my stuffed animal. It was brand new at the time but had somehow received a small hole in its neck. This hole was barely noticeable, and one could only see it if they paid careful attention to the animal.

"Stuffing the key, since it was small enough, into the hole, I padded down the fur entirely on the animal. This made it even harder to see the hole. In my mind I still considered it an obvious choice, but the workers didn't. Maybe they did suspect the animal but thought it too new to have any worn out qualities. Likewise, they most likely suspected to see an obvious tear in the animal somewhere, since I had no means to sew the animal back up. With all things considered, I was very lucky to have that small tear in my animal. Thus the workers received another key, after assuming that they had merely lost it somewhere in the building."