Into the Den

It had been two days, since they had devised a plan for getting into her mother's office. Each night, they waited for her footsteps to go down the hall, but they never heard them. They decided that if they didn't hear anything for a week, Dez would go to her mother's office to see if she was inside. If the woman was at her desk, Dez would make up some excuse and try to learn of her mother's schedule at the same time. Granted, it would be a huge risk, but it would have to be taken. Like Dez mentioned before, time wasn't their friend. Any moment Ms. Waters and Dez's mother could call them in for another test, which could be worse than the last.

Thus, when the third day passed, the two were beginning to get anxious. Both didn't want to execute their backup plan, but it might be their only option to move forward. Dez had stated that they would have to make some risks along their journey to discovery. Chance just hoped that there wouldn't be too many risks.

On the fourth day, Dez waited patiently in her room for Chance to arrive. Utilizing her favorite daisy pencil, she sketched mountains overlooking a valley. The mountains stood tall under a dark grey sky, while their grey bodies made a treacherous climb. One would have to potentially dodge falling rocks, as they made their ascent over the intimidating peaks. Dangerous beasts could be hiding in the cracks of the rocks, waiting to strike at any unsuspecting traveler. Right now, it felt like she was on the other side of those mountains. In order to view the gorgeous valley below the stone giants, she would have to climb and risk her life for her goal.

In her drawing she filled the valley with numerous flowers, ranging from daisies to poppies to marigolds. Crystal clear streams ran through the fields of flowers, while bees buzzed from one flora to the next. Butterflies of various colors flew over the flowers, enjoying the plants as much as the bees. All in all, Dez wished to see such a place.

Of course, she didn't know what would greet her after she reached the top of the mountains. The valley below may be barren or covered in snow. Furthermore, there could be nothing below the mountains. She could very well be making an ascent that would prove fruitless in the end. Then again, if nothing were in the valley, there would still be the sky and an incredible view of a place potentially unending. No matter what lay on the other side of those mountains, she would commit to the climb.

Completing a final detail on a blue butterfly, Dez heard her door open. Glancing over at the clock, she noticed that it was ten-thirty in the evening. Turning her gaze onto the individual, she watched Chance close the door. At the same time, she noticed that Chance looked quite out of breath. He was hunched over, while he rested the palms of his hands on his knees. Slightly concerned by this, she went to ask what had happened, but he spoke before she could get out a word.

"We have to go to her office now," he breathed out, his visible blue eye locking onto her grey orbs.

"Why? What happened?"

"I almost ran into your mother. Luckily, I was able to hide under one of the metal tables in the dining hall. When she left, I bolted over here, but I believe she's leaving the building for awhile."

"How do you know this?"

"She was on a cell phone talking to someone. During the brief time she was in the dining hall, I heard her mention that she would be in her car soon. Thus, we need to hurry before she gets back."