Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I sit on the couch with all the other girls fisting my hands tightly in my dark purple dress that reaches just below my knees. All of us are wondering what’s going on and why Carver has called for a “Meeting”.

Max stands at the front of the room holding Ann tightly by her arm, she has tears tripping down her face and I can almost see the horrible bruises that will start to appear afterwards.

Carver enters the room and we all stand and put on our best fake smiles for him. Next come Cruz and Frank who are pulling a young girl with short blonde hair and light brown eyes.

Drew takes the young girl in his arms and Ann starts going hysterical fighting and kicking at Max trying to get at her and that’s when I realise that this is Ally her younger sister.

Carver motions for us to sit and quickly and quietly do.

“Good morning everyone...I’m sure you’re all wondering why we are all here....one of our very own has betrayed us...Seth will present the evidence now” carver takes me onto his lap and starts playing with my hair twirling and twisting it around his fingers.

Seth takes his position at the front of the room holding up a bottle of orange pills.

“These are birth control pills that I found in Ann’s room...I wondered why she wasn’t pregnant yet and now I have my answer...as you all know using birth control is a serious offense in this household and if you are caught like Ann here the punishment is severe...so after we are finished her every girl is to report to me for a test to see if anyone else has betrayed their husband. I’ll pass over to Max now who will decide Ann’s punishment.”

Max drags Ann with him to the front of the room ignoring her cries and attempts to get away from him and over to her sister.

“Ann has always been an acceptable wife for me she did what I wanted her to do when I asked except for the one thing she never gave me- a son. Ann has betrayed me in the worst way possible and I ask for a divorce effect immediate” Max is cut off by all the girls gasping and Ann crying even harder.

“Settle down ladies” Carver warns and gives me hair a little tug that makes me bite my tongue.

“Yes as I said I want a divorce and a replacement wife”  

Carver lifts me off his lap and then pushes me back down on the couch beside Angelica.

“I think it’s only fair to grant Max a divorce...Ann come here”

Max pushes Ann away from him with a look of disgust on his face and I watch as Carver restrains her in his arms and Max takes off his expensive grey suit jacket and sets it neatly on the chair beside him. He opens the cufflinks of his shirt and rolls the sleeves up to his elbows.

“You are no longer my wife Ann Marie Taylors”

I watch as he curls his fist and sends it straight into her face. Ann lets a scream out of her but Carver holds her steady while Max reigns down punches on her body. Angelica takes my hand and squeezes like she know I'm contemplating on trying to save Ann.

After a while Max stops hitting her and takes a breather, Ann hangs in Carver’s arms blood dripping from her nose and lips and tears staining her face.

Max looks at Ann and then starts tearing her green dress until it lies in tatters and she looks nothing but a bloody torn mess. Carver pushes Ann away from him and she falls to the ground screaming in agony when she lands face first on the hard wooden floor.

I can’t take it anymore I jump from my seat and help Ann. I rip a little of my dress off and use it to wipe off the dried and fresh blood off her face.