Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Carver pulls me along just like a child would a teddy bear or rag doll. I’ve imagined this moment everyday- to feel the wind in my face and breathe in what little taste of freedom I have. Everything looks, smells, feels even tastes different. The wind feels colder to me, it feels more like an arctic blast instead. The air tastes cleaner. The sky looks bluer than before.

“Where are we going?” I ask when we reach his black SUV.

“You’ll see” he says and brings his hands up to fix the ridiculous black wig that he’s making me wear in case someone recognises me.

He opens my door and I get inside without any fuss. He slams my door shut and gets into the driver’s seat, then starts the engine and then we’re off.

“Little one, don’t look at me like that” Carver chastises.

I don’t understand. I’m not even looking at him; I’m staring out the window beside him watching a woman with two little girls go into the park. The two girls run to the swings and the woman starts pushing them and I imagine them laughing and screaming “Higher, higher mummy!”

I imagine Destiny and Desire on those swings. I’d push them and they’d laugh and giggle wearing big smiles on their faces.

Carver looks into the rear view mirror then pulls the car over to the shoulder of the road and cuts the engine.

“Little one as soon as we have a son the girls will return....but you have to prove yourself to me”

“I really don’t want to hear it Carver”

“Less of the attitude little one.....I can always turn this car around and punish you”

“I’m sorry Carver I just miss my girls”

“You betrayed me little one....but if you’re a good girl today I’ll bring the girls back for their birthday”

“Where are we going?”

“To an orphanage”

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

We arrive at the orphanage; it’s just a simple three story house with over grown grass that badly needs cut and a fence that runs around the perimeter of the entire house.

Carver takes my hand in his and we walk up the pathway in the middle of the over grown grass. As soon as we reach the wooden front door I hear screaming and crying. Carver knocks on the door and a middle aged woman with curly black hair opens the door.

“Hello Jo” he greets the woman and shakes her hand.

“Carver back again and who’s this lovely young thing?”

A thing how dare she call me a thing I’m not a thing am I?

“This is my beautiful wife Dakota but I just call her little one”

“And what a little one she is....look at her she’s just so tiny....where did you find her?”

“In an alley”

“How old is she?”

“18”

“Well good for you Carver. Come in and have a look we have a few new ones ripe for the picking”

Jo ushers us into the house and I’m instantly shocked at how many children are packed inside this house, they’re everywhere playing, laughing and screaming. The children are literally everywhere.

“So what are you looking for this time Carver?” Jo asks shoeing away a bunch of smiling, drooling boys away from us.

“Well Jo she needs to be at least sixteen so that she can bear children”