Chapter 14

Their Game

Chapter 14

Dakota’s POV

I spent the whole night crying and mourning for the loss of that little life. Carver came into the room holding me, rocking me back and forth trying to comfort me. I screamed and cried until my throat was raw and burning.

I look at the woman standing before us. Her hair is greasy and is so dirty I can’t tell what colour it is, her eyes are a bright green and her whole body is covered in cuts and bruises. She’s wearing practically nothing apart from a piece of brown cloth over her fragile little body. She’s so thin and weak it looks like she hasn’t eaten in years.

Carver takes my hand in his and then starts speaking. I block him out keeping my eyes on the fragile woman.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I can tell Carver’s speaking to me but I just stare into space. I hear him shout “Little one” over and over again.

“DAKOTA!” that snaps me out of my mourning because Carver only calls me by my real name when he’s raging with me.

“Come on little one” Carver pulls me along; everything is a blur as we walk to wherever we’re going.

We reach Seth’s office, immediately I see the fragile woman. She’s wearing a blue paper gown and both Seth and Warren are cleaning her up. I see Cruz and Frank in the corner quietly talking. Carver pulls me over to Rolando.

“I’m sorry for your loss Dakota but there will be others” I don’t say anything back I just stare at the wall like it’s the most fascinating thing ever and pretend I don’t hear him.

“Who’s the girl Rolando?” Carver asks.

“Oh yes, her name’s Daphne and she’s 21. I found her sleeping on the street and took pity on her. She appears to be homeless.”

“All done Carve!” Seth shouts

Daphne looks absolutely stunning with the dirt and grime gone. Her wavy brown locks fall to her shoulders and compliment her green eyes.

“Good job Seth....now is she able to conceive?”

“I’m going to check right now” Seth snaps on a pair of gloves, puts Daphne’s feet in stir-ups and then begins his examination. She doesn’t fight him at all instead she remains still with tears leaking from her eyes.

“There now pretty girl no more tears” Carver says gently.

“Yep she’s fertile all right”

“Good”

“She’s malnourished but she’ll be okay after a few weeks”

“Alright let’s give Daphne a few minutes before we showcase her”

Carver tries to pull me out of the room but I dig in my heels.

“I’m staying” I say firmly but my voice cracks a little at the end.

“Alright little one be a good girl” he says and leaves me in the room alone with Daphne.

“Hi I’m...” I don’t the chance to finish because she jumps up and hugs me.

“I know....you’re Dakota Summers the girl on TV”

“Yeah that’s me....how did you get here?”

“That pig, Rolo brought me here...my parent’s kicked me out so I was living on the streets”

I look at Daphne she’s so fragile and so broken. She won’t last here, she won’t survive and I just can’t handle another death. I take a deep breath and then shrug out of her embrace. I rush to the door checking both ways. Once I’m sure that it’s clear I lock the door.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m getting you out of here”

I open the window as far as it will go and look down, it’s not that high. I would go with her but Carver would find me and there will only be time for Daphne to escape not to mention Carver would use my girls as a bargaining chip to bring me back.

I grab money out of Seth’s wallet and hand it to her.

“What’s this for?”

“That should be enough for a few months rent...you’ll need to get a job there should be a vacancy in Dakota orphanage...wait are we still in Dakota?”

“Yes I think so”

“Ok go to the orphanage and ask for Claire Evans”

“Got it”

I grab her hand and start dragging her to the window.

“Wait! Won’t they kill you for helping me escape!”

“Carver, he’s the leader, he’s obsessed with me....they won’t kill me they’ll beat me”

“I don’t want them to beat you!”

“Listen, we don’t have time for this Daphne they could come back at any minute....don’t worry about me”

She lowers herself out the window and reaches the ground with a soft thud. The alarm blares and she mouths “Thank you” then she’s gone.

&&&&&&

“Little one open the door right now!”

Carver bangs once more. I wrap my arms around myself and pray to a God I don’t even believe in.

One

Two

Three

Four bangs later and the door has been bashed in. Carver grabs me and starts shaking me like a rag doll.

“Where’s the girl little one?”

“Gone”

Carver throws me to the ground.

“Put her on the table!” Cruz and Frank grab my arms and haul me up forcing me onto the table. They hold my hands down and I watch in fear as Carver flicks open a knife and holds it to my throat. Maybe I was wrong maybe Carver really will kill me this time. I hardly even notice when Seth rids me off my underwear and places my feet in stir-ups.

“I realise you just lost a baby little one but that doesn’t excuse your behaviour”

“Just do it...just kill me Carver!”

“I won’t do that....punishment...you’re going to be a good girl for me tonight. Seth, Cruz and Frank are all here to keep you in line”

“What are you going to do to me?”

“I’m going to give you what you just lost.....another baby”

“No!”

“You should be thanking me little one I’m giving you what you want...every time you move or cry either Cruz or Frank is going to cut you... so be a good girl and don’t move. I won’t tolerate anymore little one”