recieving the tapes

•present day•

liked by j_foley, jessssdavis, zdempsey98 and 107 more

naomi.a.kahele   my boy💜

zdempsey98   your boy💙

j_foley   you guys are gross😷 love you guys tho

karsen.kahele   my otp

It had been a week since Hannah Baker had tragically taken her life and everyone in school was still on edge. I tried to make the best of everything as usual, but somehow in between passing periods I ended up in front of Hannah's locker. Seeing it all decorated with notes and pictures of her made me sick. None of these people knew Hannah like I do.

Like I did.

I just stared until Mr. Porter would come through warning students that the second bell would be ringing soon. He always attempted to ask me if I was okay, but I knew better and walked to my class as fast as I could to avoid him.

I knew I had let our friendship fall apart because I had snapped at her one time. We got into one argument and I let it crumble. Even after, she kept trying to apologize but I let my anger get the best of me. I stopped talking to her all together. Maybe if I had been there for her, she would still be here. Maybe she kept trying to talk to me because she needed me. I let her down. I knew I was wrong on my part but I shouldn't have been so childish and talked to Hannah when I had the chance.

I heard my name being called behind me and I took a deep breath, turning around and putting on my best fake smile. "Justin."

"Hey, Naomi. What are you doing?" Justin asked walking to my side. We both turned to face Hannah's locker.

"I'm just... I don't know anymore, Justin." I sighed heavily, looking down to the ground.

"It's not your fault, Nak." He squeezed my shoulder, using his nice voice.

He usually only called me Nak. Somehow Justin started calling me Nak because of my name. Naomi Aulani Kahele. He thought it was funny the first time and it just stuck. He's called me Nak since we first became friends. I personally hated it; Nak just sounds so ugly. Sometimes I wondered if Hannah hated me for being friends with the boy who destroyed her reputation.

"I know.. I just cant help but feel that if I had been there for her-"

Justin cut me off, "She pushed you away. You can't be mad at her for that."

I nodded and looked away, "Yeah." I said quietly, even though I knew he was wrong. I was the one who pushed Hannah away. "I'm gonna go to class. I'll see you at lunch."

"See you, Nak."

•••

I sat at my desk on Skype with my older sister Karsen who was at university a few hours away. Things had been easier since we moved to Crestmont since we were closer, but we still didn't get to see each other all the time.