Chapter Nine

(The story is back to mainly Mitch's P.O.V unless I say otherwise. Just a heads up. Enjoy the chapter ^-^)

Mitch's P.O.V

After opening my eyes and letting them adjust to the brightly lit room, they focus on a boy sitting in front of me. My brain seems to know him, but won't tell me who he is. I blink a few times then whisper to him.

"Where...where am I?"

I can see a flash of something in his eyes. It looks like pain. He clears his throat and meets my eyes, almost hesitantly.

"You're...in the hospital, Mitch."

Mitch. So that is my name. At least I know my brain wasn't wrong. I eye the boy again carefully.

"And...who are you?"

Again, I hear a rumble from his throat, signalling him clearing it again. He answers extremely quietly.

"I'm...Jerome.."

Jerome.

Suddenly, my memory floods back.

I was in love. He had a girlfriend. We got drunk. We kissed. He left the next day. I was depressed for 3 days. Then tried to take my life.

I force my eyes to look into his. I feel my hands grip the sheets tightly, my heart pounding.

"Why are you here?"

He gently touches my hand.

"I'm here because I almost lost my best friend, Mitch."

"I thought you didn't care..."

"I was shocked that's all. I never knew you liked me in that way. I reacted in a bad way...I spent the next few days mentally yelling at myself, thinking you hated me..."

I shake my head, feeling a piece of my limp hair fall in my face, nearly poking my eye.

"I was sitting there upset thinking you hated me..."

"I could never hate you, Biggums. Never."

He stands up, leans over the bed, and hugs me as tightly as he can without hurting me. I sigh contently. This is why I fell for him. He's one of the sweetest guys you could ever meet. He sits back down and I notice him looking down. I follow his gaze and see...my arms. My eyes stare blankly at my wrists, not wanting to believe what they're seeing. Rows apon rows of lines are traced down my arms. Jerome reaches out and touches them softly. They don't hurt, so I sit quietly and let his soft fingertips gently massage the evidence of me losing it. I see tears brim his eyes and one slowly slips down his cheek, similar to the first drop of rain sliding down the window pane. I reach out and gently wipe the tear from his cheek. A small smile appears on his face, but it's quickly drowned by the continuous cascade of tears pouring from his tired eyes. He tries to take a deep breath, to calm himself I assume, but he lets out a sob. His eyes meet mine as his cracked voice whispers something barely audible.

"I'm sorry..."

I shake my head then sit up and move over in my bed a little, patting the spot beside me.

"Come here.." He stands up shakily and sits down in the bed beside me. I hug him tightly as he completely breaks down. He leans his head on my chest and cries his heart out. And I don't let him go the entire time.

A while later, his sobs quiet down and all that can be heard is his breathing, quiet and quivering. He's calming down finally. I can't do much since I'm stuck here in this bed, but what I'm doing seems to be helping. I've sat here, humming quietly to every song I can think of, and stroking his hair lightly. He looks up at me, his eyes still wide.

"Thank you.."

I hug him tightly, feeling my heart leap at the realization of how close I am to him.

"You're welcome Biggums..."

I hear him chuckle a little. He sits up a little next to me and sighs.

"You look tired..."

I shrug.

"I guess I am...not really..."

At that moment, I yawn. He smiles that cute smile of his.

"Go to sleep, Mitch."

I roll my eyes, giving in. I snuggle up to Jerome, still slightly surprised he hasn't resisted any of this. He hugs me closer, as if to protect me from anything hurting me. Just before I fall asleep, I hear his voice say my name. Even though I'm overwhelmed with the thought of sleep, I mumble an answer.

"What is it, Jerome?"

"Can you...promise me something?"

"What's that, Biggums?"

I feel his fingertips brush against my scars.

"Promise me....never again..."

I hear his voice crack a bit. My heart aches. Dispite knowing my head will make me regret this later, I whisper back the thing I know he wants to hear.

"Never again Biggums."

And I'll do all I can to keep that promise to Jerome; my best friend, my brother, and my one true love.