Eight - Your Kind

Young Mia watched her father enter and address the man as if they were old friends.

'John Arden, nice to meet you my good man,' her father said with a kindly smile, shaking the strangers hand.

'Zebediah Berkeley.' He mumbled in return. Wishing for the life of him that he didn't stink as such of a drunkard.

Mia recognised the name instantly. So this was the Earl of Bischester, the town upon which she resided adjacent to the Earl's estate. Zebediah had expected some sort of reaction. Recognition, awe, even intimidation and hostility. The confusion of their guest was soon replaced with curiosity. Who were these people and why were they so...genuine?

'How long will you allow me to intrude upon your home?' He queried. Wondering if a kindness such as this was real or just his own imagination.

'As long as you need, my friend. Our house, is your house too.'

'Though I'm sure your own family will be wondering as to your demise.' Mia said, getting supper for her father.

He knew it! She had just implied she wanted him gone. He knew it to be a charade. He almost scoffed.

'So do send word and reassure them whilst you stay with us.' She smiled at him, handing her father a plate of a modest supper.

Zebediah struggled for words. He thought negative of everything. Even this little chit who probably wasn't even old enough to harbour malice and secret agendas.

~*~*~

"Well I'll be." George broke the tense silence. "Quite a wife you got yourself there." He raised a brow at William.

He scoffed in response, charging towards the study door. "It wasn't me that got her, it was our beloved father!" He mumbled quietly to himself. Careful not to let the others hear. It was not wise to disclose that the union had been a result of his father forcing his hand. Such knowledge was a stone step away from manipulation and exaggerated gossip. It would do Mia the most harm. She was to suffer enough anyway. No reason to add more to it.

"You ought to punish the wretched wench for what she just did!" Bethany exclaimed. Her face red from anger and frustration. More liberal phrases escaping under her breath.

William stilled and turned his head to face the Lady. Without looking over his shoulder, he dismissed the lawyer.Do come back tomorrow, Ben, when everything is a little calmer."

The man bowed and left, knowing fully well it was better to do so. He had seen, and heard quite enough. It had been a spectacular show. He had not seen a last reading quote as entertaining as this, in some time. Once the door shut, William turned fully to address his sister-in-law.

"And what of your husband's treatment towards my wife?" He retorted. It was a struggle not to take a break when he said 'my wife.' The words too personal. Too strange.

Bethany scoffed indignantly. "He didn't say anything that we weren't all thinking." She smirked, a cruel vicarious expression twisting her face. "It would be most unkind to flatter her kind."

"Bethany." Charles snipped upon seeing his eldest brother's face. It was the kind of expression that was scalding enough to melt the skin off your face. He knew it well, and wished his wife to shut her damned mouth.

William felt anger erupt in his very core. The sheer ignorance and hypocrisy of the damned woman never failed to amaze him. How his brother lived with her, he'd never know.

He took brisk, and purposeful steps towards her. Stopping an arms length away. He looked over the small woman and fixed her with his menacing glare. She shrank back slightly, but determined to hold her own.

"You," he chose his words and spoke slowly. His tone dropping to a mellow warning bell. "...Would not wish to know what it is we all think of you." He almost hissed in spite, ignoring her gasp and Charles' look of fury. "It would be most unkind to flatter your kind."

With that, he strode out of the study, not missing George's snicker of amusement as the middle brother covered his mouth not to laugh out loud.

The shrill cries of Bethany followed him out of the study. "Charles! Charles! Charles, say something! Did you hear what that brother of yours just said to m-"

"Oh, do shut that big fat pie hole in your face, woman!"

What a couple. He grimaced.

William ignored her annoying voice and took long, purposeful strides towards the stairs. Heading directly for his spouse's bedchamber on the first floor. Passing his own with a thought of longing.

Women never come without drama!

~*~