Twenty-Nine: About Time

So I've just returned from a marine based expedition in Indonesia; see that picture? Just a glimpse of what paradise looks like.

It was phenomenal.

Absolutely life changing! I have so much to think about now, in terms of job and career and where I want to go with life. This little hobby of mine (writing that is) has suffered terribly from neglect and I feel a tad guilty for it.

So here's another (filler) chapter and a massive shout to all my supportive readers, the ones who have stuck it out and stayed thus far. You are so loved!

*

Over the next fortnight, the entire household kept a cautious eye on their injured wards, and the other on lurking dangers. William saw monsters and demons where there were none, and Charles smelt deception and lies in clean, crisp air.

Paranoia is a dangerous ailment of the mind. Theirs had crippled them into whispers of themselves. Bethany had picked up on it and felt trapped. Her plans to leave relinquished by her husband, whose hold on her was tighter than it had ever been before.

She slammed the bedroom door shut. It opened a second later and closed quieter.

The floorboard creaked behind her. "Don't!" She snapped, keeping her back to him.

Charles breathed out heavily through his nostrils. His fists clenched tight at his sides. "Why must you be so impossible?" His voice was gentle and sad, not scornful as she had hoped.

It made it so much easier to hate if you were scorned.

Her eyes remained on the second floor window opposite her, overlooking the hustle and bustle of the city streets. "I am a prisoner here, Charlie-" the nickname, so familiar, teased past her lips as her voice caught in her throat. She coughed to regain her composure. "Charles. You haven't let me out of your sight. I haven't seen or walked in fresh air for days, I'm going stir crazy!"

"You were there way before that." He mumbled and she whirled around to face him.

"What?"

"Nothing." He took a step closer as she took a retreating one back. He didn't like that. She was always just out of reach. "Look. It's for your own safety."

She scoffed at that. "It's for your own peace of mind."

He took hurried steps forward and clamped his hands down on her shoulders, fingers splayed over her frame. She tried to shrug him off and snarled in annoyance. "Yes it is." He said, turning her face upwards to meet his gaze. "I couldn't bare it if something happened to you under my care. Is that so hard to believe?"

Her flesh burned with every touch of skin to skin, in a delicious way that reminded her how good it was to have her husband's touch. She raised a mocking brow. "Then I need be not under your care."

"The fact remains that you are, Beth. So have a little more patience with me, and as soon as the dust settles, you will have what you want."

That took her by surprise. "Truly?"

The way her eyes widened with disbelief and the pupils dilated with joy, wrenched at his heart. How longer could he keep up the pretence, knowing what she truly desired? It was beginning to take its toll on his heart and his very soul itself.

He leaned forward and stole a kiss from her lips. She saw it coming from the sad, longing look in his eyes. But relished in it regardless.

Soft.